The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 03:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

A1 is driving for a layup. B1, who is following, screams right in A1's ear as A1 is about to shoot.

Do you call a T on B1 for UC? Do you wait to see if the shot goes in? Would you call it differently at "lower levels"? We had a discussion about this at last night's meeting.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 03:56pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
A1 is driving for a layup. B1, who is following, screams right in A1's ear as A1 is about to shoot.

Do you call a T on B1 for UC? Do you wait to see if the shot goes in? Would you call it differently at "lower levels"? We had a discussion about this at last night's meeting.
First time, I'll let it go.
Second time, I may think about warning.
mick
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

First time, I'll let it go.
Second time, I may think about warning.
mick
First time I give a warning...there is no second time.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Not enough information

Quote:

Many years back.... Having been the recipient of the screaming of an immature putz of a self appointed drill seargent type, I know that screaming in someone's ear can cause serious pain and possible damage.

I'm leaning towards the "KNOCK IT OFF" response. However if I felt pain was inflicted and it was a blatant unsportsman-like act, I might just as likely call a flagrant foul and eject. In that case I would consider it a safety issue and justify to the coach that this act could potentially inflict permanent damage - I don't realistically see this ever happening; if the defender is close enough to be nibbling on his ear, then the defender is close enough to play some legitimate defense.

Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
...and I know who brought it up! What's the verdict for TBA, Mark? Does someone get his way this year?
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 06:28pm
In Memoriam

Re: Not enough information

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
[B]
Quote:
I don't realistically see this ever happening; if the defender is close enough to be nibbling on his ear, then the defender is close enough to play some legitimate defense.
I'm there.

If the defender just screams without playing "D" at that range, then I know I am in another part of the country.
mick
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think that this is unsporting, personally; but I've been told by my board interpreter that it's not to be considered a technical foul.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
...and I know who brought it up! What's the verdict for TBA, Mark? Does someone get his way this year?
Yeah, you guessed it. This is a rec league folks. The official league rules will say that doing this "may result in a technical foul being called for unsportsmanlike conduct". Of course, using the term "may" doesn't give clear direction to the officials.

There were three schools of thought at the meeting:

1) call the T regardless of whether the shot went in or not because the intent is what should be penalized

2) the first time, give a warning to both teams, then call T's from then on

3) this isn't golf - it's a no-call

Guess which one I support? HEEHEEHEEHEE