The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Alright, I need help. I worked a boys varsity boys last night with a D3 college offical. This guy was a very strong official, you know the kind, loud voice, very confident, somewhat controlling. Needless to say I was somewhat intimidated by him from the start. I missed a double dribble right in front of me(looked away to check the defense), we had a double whistle with different calls and after that I just seemed to have a shit game. Now, I am not too down about the game itself, this season has been a good one so far. What I need to know is how not to let stronger officials like this guy dominate the game and intimidate me. After the game he said we did fine,(I think he was being nice, I hate that)but I know I stunk it up. The worst part was that the assignor was there watching too. Any comments are welcome.

DB
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Just think back to when you were a rookie. I seem to feel like this most nights. Coaches sometimes get me off my game, a bad call or missed call will sometimes get me of my game, a partner having a bad night will sometimes get me off my game, a loud fan will will sometimes get me off my game, etc... I know you went through the same thing I am going through, and I don't think they are that different. The only way to get past this is to be confident in yourself and the calls you will make. Any official who does college or pro, puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like you and me. When working with someone of more experience, don't feel intimidated by him, feel proud that you get to work with him
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 02:00pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation 17 years experience

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Birch
Alright, I need help. I worked a boys varsity boys last night with a D3 college offical. This guy was a very strong official, you know the kind, loud voice, very confident, somewhat controlling. Needless to say I was somewhat intimidated by him from the start. I missed a double dribble right in front of me(looked away to check the defense), we had a double whistle with different calls and after that I just seemed to have a shit game. Now, I am not too down about the game itself, this season has been a good one so far. What I need to know is how not to let stronger officials like this guy dominate the game and intimidate me. After the game he said we did fine,(I think he was being nice, I hate that)but I know I stunk it up. The worst part was that the assignor was there watching too. Any comments are welcome.

DB
Dave,
With your 17 years of basketball experience, I wouldn't take a back seat to any official, I would listen and cooperate, but not break.
You've been reffing twice as long as I, so I find it hard to believe you don't own this game.
mick
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 02:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post I don't know if this helps, but...

Earlier this season, I worked with the top evaluator for the main officials association in our large metro area. He is a 30+ year vet. Even though I am in my 22nd season, I knew he was going to "take the lead". So, before the game, I took a preemptive strike. I told him I really appreciated the opportunity to work with him and that, even though this wasn't technically an official eval situation, I would greatly appreciate any advice he could give me.

This played right into his ego and the rest of the night he was extremely helpful (he thought) and actually took the role of "protecting" me from criticism (like I really need help).

It worked out fine.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
17 years? I wouldn't take a backseat either. That said. When I reach 17 years of experience I may still be somewhat intimidated by a partner too. In the short time I've been officiating, I have worked with 20 year vets that I have had to carry and I've worked with 5 year guys who I've been totally intimidated working with. Usually, I blow the whistle and when noone bites my head off for it, I feel fine. I then go off from there.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 04:36pm
Suppref

Happens to everyone

I used to feel the same way with more veteran partners, and just as Tim said I've worked with 20year guys who were somewhat weak. My advice/comment is ssty focused during the game keep your mechanics sharp and if you see it blow the whistle. You will get less grief from blowing a whistle than you will if you don't blow it.
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Early in the season (mid Oct) i worked with our provincial / state educator in a junior college game. This official works DI, DII and NAIA, and if considered to be one of the best officials in Canada. He's a 30+ year vet and has worked around the world in PAN/AM games and Olympics. I'm a 27 year old guy with 10 years experience, Who's most high profile game has been the semi-final at a 'AA'Provincial/State tournament.

OK here' the situation

Visiting coach is continually complaining to both officials about our calls. Not only is he vocal, but he's continually pushing the limits of the coaching box. After reporting a easy call (two hands on the back of a post player with the ball)I made my way over to the coach to indicate the coaches box, and to answer his question about the call.

I quickly make my way back to the far end of the court to be the trail. Immediately my parnter make the exact same call on the exact same girl in the post...again the coach complains. I smile...

Play continues.. and toward the end of the half i have the exact same call on the same girl..Two arms on post player with the ball. He smiles..

While i'm reporting i see coach standing clearly outside his box, however he's just standing there saying nothing. I ask him to move back into the box and report the foul. I look and see that he's not moved back. He's just continues to stand there.

I turn away and proceeded to become the trail..."That's garbage" comes out from behind me. The whistle goes into my mouth and i bite down and for some reason looked toward my partner who is stairing right past me and at the coach. He shakes his head side to side and I let the whistle fall from my mouth.

Half-time...The scorekeeper ( who is a very new official) polietly asks my parnter ( she doesn't know who he is) why he's not enforcing the coaches box, she also indicates that she can hardly here us during our reporting procedures because of the visiting coach.

Second half..First call, by my partner...Coach complains and VERY QUICKLY get the stop sign. I see this.. very soon i have a back-court hand-checking call and the coach again is up. Before i can report..i here the extra whistle and see the famous sign. I report and then my parnter does. Now this is where it get interesting.....

My partner who had just given the 'T' tell me to go to center, i ask "Are you sure" he says "yes". Whom am i to argue. I hesitate and then go, he administrates the 'T' from the lead right next to the coach, who is still complaining.

After the free throws..i get the ball and am just about to start play again when i see the stop sign from my partner.

I smile and tell the inbounder to "watch this". My partner get right in the face of the coach and tells him that if he wants to remain in the gym he's got to sit down NOW, the coach indicates he's alloud to stand, NOT ANY MORE is all. I hear this from 50 feet away. My partner then proceed to walk him back to his chair. I get the ok signal and play resumes. Nothing is heard from the coach the remainder of the game.

After the game we talked at great lengths on what we could have done better. I thought that if i had given the first T when i wanted to, the game could have ended up better. He gave me the reason why he didn't think i should. I agreed with his points. I also expressed my surprise towards his actions towards the coach. He indicated that sometimes you have to do something drastic to deal with a situation.

Confidence is hard to build and harder to keep. I became weak when i needed to be strong. I hesitated when i shouldn't have. It shouldn't have matter who my partner was, if i thought that a 'T' should've been called i should've call it. I now know that after talking to my mentor, who just by chance talk to my partner who just happened to indicate that "may i was wrong in not letting Scott 'T' the coach". I smiled when i heard that.

Best of luck in the furture, stay calm, poliet and firm.

keep smiling
SH