The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Alternating pos always throws we.

Here is a sample question I got from the following website: http://www.psboa.org

A-1 commits a throw-in violation durning alternating pos procedure. Offical awards ball to team B and has the scorer turn the arrow toward team B's basket. Is the official correct?

Answer: Yes

Question i have is during alternating pos procedure, when do you instruct the scorer to switch arrow...

Thanks again all
Mike

Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

when throw in ends!!!!

it ended with a violation on team A...switch arrow give team B the ball...
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong

For alternating posession, it is when the throw in ends. So in this case. If A was inbounding the ball because of an alternating posession and commited a violatin, B gets the ball, but the arrow still points to A. The violation includes throwing the ball out of bounds without touching someone.

This is different for the start of a game which is not alternating posession. For example, if during the initial jump ball, team B commits a violation, team will get the ball and the arrow is set to team B when the ball is at the throwers disposal. If then, A commits a throw in violation, B gets the ball, but still will have the arrow.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:17pm
Administrator

Re: Wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
For alternating posession, it is when the throw in ends. So in this case. If A was inbounding the ball because of an alternating posession and commited a violatin, B gets the ball, but the arrow still points to A. The violation includes throwing the ball out of bounds without touching someone.

This is different for the start of a game which is not alternating posession. For example, if during the initial jump ball, team B commits a violation, team will get the ball and the arrow is set to team B when the ball is at the throwers disposal. If then, A commits a throw in violation, B gets the ball, but still will have the arrow.

Damian:

You are wrong. I do not have my rule books in front of me but both NFHS and NCAA rules agree that one of the ways a throw-in ends is when the team attepting the throw-in commits a throw-in violation. Therefore in the play of the original post is that when Team A commited the throw-in violation, the AP Arrow is reversed toward Team B's basket, Team B receives the ball for a throw-in as the penalty for Team A's throw-in violation, and Team B will get the ball for a throw-in for the next AP situation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 07:56am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

You are wrong. I do not have my rule books in front of me but both NFHS and NCAA rules agree that one of the ways a throw-in ends is when the team attepting the throw-in commits a throw-in violation. Therefore in the play of the original post is that when Team A commited the throw-in violation, the AP Arrow is reversed toward Team B's basket, Team B receives the ball for a throw-in as the penalty for Team A's throw-in violation, and Team B will get the ball for a throw-in for the next AP situation.

NFHS rule 6-4-4&5 is the rule citation that backs MTD Sr.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 10:37am
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

NFHS rule 6-4-4&5 is the rule citation that backs MTD Sr.

Good morning and Happy Halloween. Thanks for the backing up tired old man, LOL, last night. The family and I had just got back home from Youngstown, Ohio, where we watched the Youngstown State University Penquins defeat the Indiana State University Sycamores 45-20, to break four game losing streak. Now, to go watch the eleven year old and his light weigh football team play their final game of the season.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio