The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Last night. A-5 is driving to the basket and there is a pass and crash. I call a charge on A-5. Pretty obvious call. As I start towards the table to report, Head Coach A slams his board to the floor in frustration.

Would that be an automatic T for you?

I`ll`wait for some replies before I tell you what I did.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Automatic? Probably not, he could be pissed at the player, not you.

But if he gives even the slighest indication he's frustrated at me, then yeah I'll take him.

BTW, I imagine your game was a scrimmage? A coach has to be a really out of control jerk for me to T him in a scrimmage. If it got close I would likely tell him to calm down & stfu first.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with Dan. If he's been barking for a while, I'd probably pull the trigger, too. You could probably tell by the context who his frustration is being leveled at. If he'd been harping on his kids to stay under control, then I won't even address it. If he'd been howling at me to get the defense off his players, and then pulls this, I'm likely to whack him.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Not automatic... but probable. Regardless of whether the coach is directing it at me or his player, he's gone well over the line of sportsmanship, similar to kicking the bench. If I ignore that, where do I draw the line?

A little later in the game, maybe player B1 slaps the floor in reaction to a call and I T him up. Now coach B has a good reason to question why I called that and ignored the flying clipboard on coach A earlier.

Z
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

gotta find out why he slammed his clip board first. coaches hate to give up the ball but especially when they have a prime scoring opportunity. if his slam is aimed at you..tweet
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:58am
Esteemed Participant

Yeah, what Dan said...and I would add that even if it was directed at the player, that coach would certainly have my attention for the remainder of the evening...
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Yeah, what Dan said...and I would add that even if it was directed at the player, that coach would certainly have my attention for the remainder of the evening...
Good point.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I agree with Dan. If he's been barking for a while, I'd probably pull the trigger, too. You could probably tell by the context who his frustration is being leveled at. If he'd been harping on his kids to stay under control, then I won't even address it. If he'd been howling at me to get the defense off his players, and then pulls this, I'm likely to whack him.
Put me in with the "tastes great" bunch- Dan, Snaqs, et al....
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Questioning my integrity, getting personal are probably the only "automatic" Ts I can see giving.

I would have to be there in order to decide if his actions were directed toward me or this player. Many times I see coaches stomp or get upset but they are directing all their energy toward their player. I would also see if he says anything to you or his player. Because if his next comment is, "Johnny, pass the darn basketball," I know I am not going to T a coach for that.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

T's at Scrimmage

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

A coach has to be a really out of control jerk for me to T him in a scrimmage.
I'm not sure I agree. The purposes of scrimmages is to simulate real game situations and for everyone involved to get ready for the season: coaches, players and refs. During a scrimmage do we call a block/charge the same way we would during the regular season? Sure, we do. We better. We're being evaluated. Are we not going to T up players and eject them for fighting? Sure we are. So why protect the coach, when we won't protect the players? Why are we more lenient on T's when in comes to the coaches behavior? What warrants a T in regular season should warrant a T during pre-season. I mean, a coach has to cross a line before I T'm him up. I don't have a quick trigger.

Dan, I was of the same opinion as you until earlier this year when I was involved in a scrimmage game. We were having problems with the home team coach. During a break we made a comment to the evaluator that we wished we could T him up. The evalutor replied, I'd have already T'd him. Guess what happened when play resumed and the coach slammed the bench! TWEET!

Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: T's at Scrimmage

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

A coach has to be a really out of control jerk for me to T him in a scrimmage.
I'm not sure I agree. The purposes of scrimmages is to simulate real game situations and for everyone involved to get ready for the season: coaches, players and refs. During a scrimmage do we call a block/charge the same way we would during the regular season? Sure, we do. We better. We're being evaluated. Are we not going to T up players and eject them for fighting? Sure we are. So why protect the coach, when we won't protect the players? Why are we more lenient on T's when in comes to the coaches behavior? What warrants a T in regular season should warrant a T during pre-season. I mean, a coach has to cross a line before I T'm him up. I don't have a quick trigger.

Dan, I was of the same opinion as you until earlier this year when I was involved in a scrimmage game. We were having problems with the home team coach. During a break we made a comment to the evaluator that we wished we could T him up. The evalutor replied, I'd have already T'd him. Guess what happened when play resumed and the coach slammed the bench! TWEET!

Maybe scrimmages are different in my area, but T'ing a coach would be counter productive. The coaches are the people that run the scrimmages and the environment is different. If I have a problem with a coach, I would rather talk to them instead of T'ing them for no really good reason. It is not like an ejection is going to carry the same penalty as it does in the regular season.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

I agree, Rut.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Maybe scrimmages are different in my area, but T'ing a coach would be counter productive. The coaches are the people that run the scrimmages and the environment is different. If I have a problem with a coach, I would rather talk to them instead of T'ing them for no really good reason. It is not like an ejection is going to carry the same penalty as it does in the regular season.

Peace
I'm there.
mick
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Scrimmage T

I agree with Mick and Rut. At least where I am, many coaches get there own officials for scrimmages. Even if not, many scrimmages are not very formal...heck we wear shorts for them. A coach would have to do something very extraordinary for him to get a T in scrimmage. I can't remember ever having a problem in a scrimmage that would lead to a T. That being said, if in your area there are observors at a scrimmage and you think that you would be better off in giving one...then by all means pin the coach.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 02:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Last night. A-5 is driving to the basket and there is a pass and crash. I call a charge on A-5.
I hope you didn't call this as a player control foul.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

A scrimmage is the best opportunity to do some things that you never have the time nor the option of doing in a regular season contest. Coach goes nuts? You go over and say that absolutely, positively will get you the T in the regular season. Players act silly, taunting, physically challenging each other? Blow the whistle and say if you yahoos do this in a couple of weeks you're not going to see the end of the game. You actually have to watch some players closely during this time because their football season just ended or they're still in the playoffs and they still have the mentality that they're on the football field. I see it every year.