The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I been practicing my visual count lately, using my watch I set the timer to 10 seconds. The 10 second alarm goes off before I even get to 8. So I adjusted the speed to my swing to get 10 swings in 10 seconds and it seemed like my arm was going too fast. Any ideas? Have any of you guys timed your counts?
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I been practicing my visual count lately, using my watch I set the timer to 10 seconds. The 10 second alarm goes off before I even get to 8. So I adjusted the speed to my swing to get 10 swings in 10 seconds and it seemed like my arm was going too fast. Any ideas? Have any of you guys timed your counts?
I used to do that, when I was an aspiring bb ref. It's a good training tool to do.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
if you weren't even to 8 yet, then your arm was moving way to slow before LOL ....I used to watch a guy in our association with his visual count...I thought man he is way to fast then I watched the clock...he was right on..so I started timing and adjusting mine...
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

A while ago somebody suggested practicing in front of your microwave. That way you can see the time as you count.

I tried it. It worked pretty well. But if you practice too long, you burn your popcorn
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

You may be using too much of you arm ( going from chest all the way out) Try starting out away from your body ( like a 90 degreee) and then go out... it will look good and you wont be swinging too fast or wide
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

What happened to 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, etc.?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
You may be using too much of you arm ( going from chest all the way out) Try starting out away from your body ( like a 90 degreee) and then go out... it will look good and you wont be swinging too fast or wide
Yea, I did this and it helped. I worked with the microwave timer (used water instead of popcorn) and got my count perfect. Really dependable. But I kept getting dinged in evals for my count being too fast. I started watching others, and made this change. I didn't move my arm as far, so it didn't look like I was moving as fast. What I do is just hold my arm straight out, and only move my wrist. It is completely still for about half a second, and then I give it a good snappy chop, but barely bend my elbow at all. It looks really crisp and sharp, and my timing is close to perfect. If this sounds like bragging, it's because it is. I have very few outstanding qualities to my reffing, so I have to really talk up the ones that are in place!
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

In lower level games without a press, I used the scoreboard to get a good feel for my count. Just kind of keep an eye on it as the ball is brought up. It has helped.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
What happened to 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, etc.?
It got changed to "1-red arrow, 2-red arrow," etc. Keep your count and keep the arrow in your head at the same time.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 06:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I have very few outstanding qualities to my reffing, so I have to really talk up the ones that are in place!
This is not true at all. Juulie has outstanding fishnets.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 06:58pm
M.A.S.H.

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
A while ago somebody suggested practicing in front of your microwave. That way you can see the time as you count.

I tried it. It worked pretty well. But if you practice too long, you burn your popcorn
Very good practice actually. But like you said, you shouldn't keep pressing "Add a minute" just to get more practice! Well, I guess you can if you want the contents of your food on fire!
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:

Very good practice actually. But like you said, you shouldn't keep pressing "Add a minute" just to get more practice! Well, I guess you can if you want the contents of your food on fire!
Doesn't your microwave have a "timer" feature?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 08:42pm
M.A.S.H.

Well....

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:

Doesn't your microwave have a "timer" feature?
Well yeah, but it takes some of the fun out of it! Ha Ha
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Visual Count? Does that mean that you are counting with your eyes instead of a visible count with your hands?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I got my count a little faster when I I started watching my watch. Then I got into a game and I noticed that when I was really getting into it that my timing would get even faster. So you have to be careful on how excited you get too. You don't want 5 seconds to be 4.5. Get a video as soon as you can.