View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 04, 2001, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Glad to see other Utahns

I was/am for HB67 but on another topic for Utah bb officials.

I moved to Utah from SW Florida this summer and am a little concerned with what I've seen with high school refereeing here. These observations have been common enough that I feel they might represent the philosophy of the association.

Specificly: (1) Allowing hand checking, forearm contact on the ball handler and body contact in the low post by the defense...this rewards poor defense..

(2) Not calling player-control fouls....this penalizes good defense. I've seem a couple of varsity games in which I could only conclude that the ref was either guessing or alternating the calls. The problem might be #3.

(3) Both officials' eyes are "locked" on the ball. I was at the Oly/West game. There was non-basketball activity going on "off-ball" that was obvious and unseen before that criminal act by the West player.

I was wondering if any other UHSAA members had these points of view.

I feel that I'm a student of officiating and strive to get better each game. For these reasons I hope to be attending a couple of camps this year.

I hope I haven't offending anyone because these are not negative criticisms. I welcome and need feedback of my performance to get better.

"quit staring at the ball"