The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fee for preseason scrimmage (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15970-fee-preseason-scrimmage.html)

BayStateRef Mon Oct 18, 2004 02:38pm

I have been asked to work a couple of preseason scrimmages --high school varsity. The AD says he wants to pay a half fee, even though he paid full fee last year. He said he was going to talk to other ADs in the league to see what they do, but someone must have spoken to him -- hence the change.

My assignor just shrugs when I ask. He says it is up to each team.

Are there any set "rules" in your area/association for getting paid for scrimmages? Last year, I think we had two or three 20-minute stopped time periods with the score cleared after each period. Otherwise, we play under "game conditions" (except there are few people in the stands.)

Damian Mon Oct 18, 2004 02:40pm

We don't get paid for scrimmages

The schools pay the chapter for scrimmages. We use the time to perform in front of coaches and get ready for the season. The money they pay the chapter goes for training fees and end of season activities.

BktBallRef Mon Oct 18, 2004 02:41pm

Schools only pay $25 for a 2 hour scrimmage in my area. We put all scrimmage money in the association General Fund and sped it on training.

So we don't receive anything for scrimmages.

Ref3 Mon Oct 18, 2004 03:38pm

In Southern Wisconsin, it varies. Some pay JV Fee ($35), some pay varsity fee ($55), some don't pay. Our association is even working a 4 school (V,JV,F) girls scrimmage for no pay. We get the gym two hours before the scrimmage to run a clinic. That is our pay.

ChuckElias Mon Oct 18, 2004 03:41pm

Around here, HS scrimmages are donated. College scrimmages pay $100 for all the officials to split between them.

JRutledge Mon Oct 18, 2004 04:56pm

Just last week.

I have done scrimmages that pay and scrimmages that do not. I think you have to decide what is OK for you. How many games are you doing and what levels? How many officials are present? I would try to get as much as possible, but at the same time I have done them for nothing (not necessarily my choice). As a matter of fact I attended a college camp last week (on Columbus Day) and traveled over and hour from my house and was not paid anything. But it was a required meeting for an assignor and that was the best time. Sometimes you have to give back for all the money you make during and after the basketball season.

Peace

Mark Padgett Mon Oct 18, 2004 05:43pm

Also keep in mind that many insurance plans (not personal medical, but referee liability insurance) do not cover you for scrimmages.

mick Mon Oct 18, 2004 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Also keep in mind that many insurance plans (not personal medical, but referee liability insurance) do not cover you for scrimmages.
...And many other plans do cover volunteers. ;)

mick
LL Umpire

Glad yer well, Padgett.

Camron Rust Mon Oct 18, 2004 07:13pm

Scrimmages in Portland are unpaid.

ref18 Mon Oct 18, 2004 08:05pm

In my area, a normal game fee is given to the officials. Usually in a situation like this, it is given by cash on the spot rather than the association sending a bill for the game.

BktBallRef Mon Oct 18, 2004 08:34pm

Quote:

In NC, if you're working an NCHSAA sanctioned game or scrimmage, the association insurance covers you.

rainmaker Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

...And many other plans do cover volunteers. ;)

mick
LL Umpire

Glad yer well, Padgett.

Yes, indeed, and there are rumors that Padgett is also re-upping. Just rumors, mind you...

dblref Tue Oct 19, 2004 06:22am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

In NC, if you're working an NCHSAA sanctioned game or scrimmage, the association insurance covers you.

Same thing in VA. We work scrimmages for free. A scrimmage is usually 6 quarters (think the schools can only have 2 scrimmages) and we usually have 5 or 6 officials there. We run 3-whistle for all varsity scrimmages and we trade off quarters. We use the "off" quarter to critique each other. The coaches can usually request a stop at any time so they can make a "coaching" point to the players. The score is cleared for each quarter and in most instances, we run a quarter w/o shooting any F/T's (except when shooter is fouled) and the next quarter every non-shooting foul is 1 & 1.

The association "requires" each official to work 4 scrimmages -- some of us work more and some work less. The scrimmages also allow JV officials to maybe work a varsity scrimmage.