The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

We were told at our State Meeting last night, that if the official sees the blood and stops the game, a time out will not buy their way back into the game. The only way a time out will work is when the player notices the blood and asked for the time out, first. Does that sound right?
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

the way that was explained last night is the only way you can use a 30 is if you don't have a full left!!!I guess that is why it says "can use a 60 or 30" one coach can not pick a full and the other just use a 30 if they both want their players in, unless the coach does not have the full to use. That is just what was said last night by the commissish!
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by altus
We were told at our State Meeting last night, that if the official sees the blood and stops the game, a time out will not buy their way back into the game. The only way a time out will work is when the player notices the blood and asked for the time out, first. Does that sound right?
That sounds like it's completely contrary to the rules as written. See NFHS casebook play 3.3.6- in that play, the players are directed by the officials to leave the game, but can come right back in by using a TO. That's completely different than what your state was telling you.

Bottom line, as always though, is to do what your state tells you to do. I'd check back on this one though.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 09:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The procedure is to stop play, then give option to coach to replace in 30 seconds or to buy some time.
mick
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 11:29am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I know that people will say: How can you take a team's star player out of the game when the game is on the line and only seconds left on the clock? That argument does not hold water.
Mark T.,
I agree with your philosophy regarding the blood rule, but when we throw into the mix that the *star player* was not bleeding, and only had incidental blood from another player (accidentally or intentionally), I think the approved procedure of buying a player back into the game may be justified.
mick

Mick:

I understand your argument, but just how often does that situation occur. But just how many times do these situation occur. I am not saying that the situation has not occured in the past or will occur in the future. But I would bet dollars to donuts that the incidence rate does not justify the buy-in rule. Just remove the player(s) involved and let them return at the next substitution opportunity. It takes away the gamemanship that some coaches might want to try and makes application of the rule by officials much easier and straightforward.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 11:31am
Administrator

Quote:

Absolutely NOT!! That is not how the rule is to be applied.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
You are correct that the rule also applies to injuries, I should have noted that fact. But lets look at the big picture. Even factoring in the entire scoop of the rule, how many times does an injured player or blood rule situation happen during the course of the season. It just does not happen enough times to justify a complicated timeout rule.
Hey, Mark, I'm on your side! I agree with you 100%. At least I think so. I don't have a problem with a single player having to buy his way back in with a time-out. But it seems unnecassarily complicated to add a lot of extra intricacies if there are two injured players, one from each team. Like you say, how often does it happen?
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
But just how many times do these situation occur. I am not saying that the situation has not occured in the past or will occur in the future.
Mark T.,
Well, I started playing in 1960, saw my kids play in the 1980s and 1990s, have been reffin for a while, ... and I remember it happening once.
mick
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 03:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
But just how many times do these situation occur. I am not saying that the situation has not occured in the past or will occur in the future.
Mark T.,
Well, I started playing in 1960, saw my kids play in the 1980s and 1990s, have been reffin for a while, ... and I remember it happening once.
mick

Mick:

Then you understand what I am saying. There is no real need for such a rule that can have such complicated applications.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Then you understand what I am saying. There is no real need for such a rule that can have such complicated applications.

MTD, Sr.
OK, then let's get rid of the correctable error rule too because (using your logic) I've never had one of those.

Z
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 05:46pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

MTD, Sr.
OK, then let's get rid of the correctable error rule too because (using your logic) I've never had one of those.

Z

I am not advocating any such thing. The application of the correctable error rule is far simpler than the application of this rule because the opporturnity of abuse by coaches and the rarity of its needfulness (I hope that is a real word.)

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 06:17pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z,
The correctable error rule is mainly for those that don't take care of bidness.
No wonder you haven't used it.
mick