The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

We were discussing the topic of "substitution during a time-out" at our association meeting. Several officials indicated that if a coach said this time-out is "only for a substitution," that play would continue as soon as the sub entered the game.

However, Rule 5-11 Art, 1 says "Such a time-out (charged) shall not be reduced in length unless both teams are ready to play before the time-out is over."

I believe college rules allow for a "substitute" time-out, but was curious if anyone had ever had the opposing coach say I want the "full" time allowed, regardless of whether the sub had entered the game.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

In NF we give them the full time out unless both teams are ready to play. If they call time out and it is for a sub and the other team wants to take the full time allotted they can

In NF give them the time out...

A few years ago it used to be once the calling team was ready they both had to play.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA allows the "substitution-only" timeout (actually has a separate signal, similar to the travel signal), and also allows the calling team to end a (non-media) timeout when they are ready - a warning horn is sounded, and play resumes 15 seconds later.

In NFHS, both teams must indicate that they are ready in order for a timeout to be shortened.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 07:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
NCAA allows the "substitution-only" timeout (actually has a separate signal, similar to the travel signal), and also allows the calling team to end a (non-media) timeout when they are ready - a warning horn is sounded, and play resumes 15 seconds later.

In NFHS, both teams must indicate that they are ready in order for a timeout to be shortened.
In the NCAA Rulebook, the NCAAW signal for a sub-only timeout reminds me of a football safety signal.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball