Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
It is possible that the lead and trail are on the same side when a shot is taken. So, saying lead take lead's side and trail take trail's would leave one side uncovered. It would be better said to say that the lead has rebounding on the side that he/she is on. The trail would cover the opposite side.
Well said, Camron. I wasn't thinking about times when the L is ball-side. Good pick-up.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

"Over the back" is never the leads call.

T or C.
? why not?
of course it's not an over the back but a push. But are you saying L should never call a push on a rebound? Why-because T has high and L is covering low?
Of course it's a push. It's a push caused by torso to back contact that the L almost never has a good view of and the T or C (3 man) has the best view of. Very rarely is the L in good enough position to see this type of push.

The L should be looking for & taking the "real" pushes & shoves caused by arms during rebounding.

Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: Not so sure about that Dan.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

"Over the back" is never the leads call.

T or C.
This seems to be a feeling that is fading. I used to buy into this as well. The more camps I have attended I have been told that is really not true. The Lead sometimes is the only person that might see the two players right under the basket. I have been told that the Lead is probably the best person to make these calls. Not to say that the T or C cannot have a call, but it is far from "never" as it relates to the Lead Official making one.

Peace
I'll remember this for when I move to Chicago.

But for now I'm OK doing it my way.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Re: Re: Not so sure about that Dan.

Quote:

Better remember it if you move to Indiana, too.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Not so sure about that Dan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:

You own a moving company??!!

Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Not so sure about that Dan.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:

You own a moving company??!!

Nope...but if you're going to be moving often, maybe I should!
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

when does this happen??

It is possible that the lead and trail are on the same side when a shot is taken.

Are we supposed to change sides back and forth as the lead official??? never been taught that one... i've seen some guys get a better view of the other side of the lane, by coming over a little to get a better view..but never should you have a lead and trail on the same side of the court in a two whistle game should you????? your supposed to always have your players boxed in from what i have always learned...that is why you have two of you out there, if the ball comes to the trail side of the post they are there to help out...but that is the main reason for the 3 man crew, to take care of those problems
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Re: when does this happen??

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie

..but never should you have a lead and trail on the same side of the court in a two whistle game should you?????
Sure you should. When the ball settles on trail's side and there is action in the post, lead should come across and look back at and through the post.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Not so sure about that Dan.

Quote:

Obviously you have to do what the powers that be tell you to do in your area. But this philosophy is not just coming from people that work in my area. This philosophy is being taught by officials that work over many parts of the country. If this was just a local issue I would have made that clear. Do not be surprised if you hear this from another source that is all. BTW I was told this at a camp outside of the area I live.

Pece
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It is possible that the lead and trail are on the same side when a shot is taken.

Are we supposed to change sides back and forth as the lead official??? never been taught that one... i've seen some guys get a better view of the other side of the lane, by coming over a little to get a better view..but never should you have a lead and trail on the same side of the court in a two whistle game should you????? your supposed to always have your players boxed in from what i have always learned...that is why you have two of you out there, if the ball comes to the trail side of the post they are there to help out...but that is the main reason for the 3 man crew, to take care of those problems
Absolutely, to add to what Lotto offered.

Lead has primary coverage of everthing below the FT line and inside the 3-point arc...even opposite side. To cover that well, the lead must cross over and look back across the key...there's no way to get a good view across the paint. The lead never goes very far past the lane line on the opposite side. The trail shifts high and towards the center of the court to cover the backside (where the lead temporarily vacated). The lead will always return to his original side in transition unless the trail gets trapped and is force to the other side.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: when does this happen??

Quote:
Quote:

Lead has primary coverage of everthing below the FT line and inside the 3-point arc...even opposite side. To cover that well, the lead must cross over and look back across the key...there's no way to get a good view across the paint. The lead never goes very far past the lane line on the opposite side. The trail shifts high and towards the center of the court to cover the backside (where the lead temporarily vacated). The lead will always return to his original side in transition unless the trail gets trapped and is force to the other side.
Actually trail has lane line to side line opposite lead UNLESS lead comes over. They changed that two years ago.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

My view in 2 whistle.

1) it does not matter what side each referee is on or if they are both on same side.

2) Lead should be responsible for strong side rebounds (strongside is side lead is on)

3) Trail is responsible for perimeter and weaksside rebounds.

I have found this very helpful. I learned this years ago from the NBA system. It works well and allows to still have specific court coverage. It prevents double whistles where you dont need them (middle of paint is fair game for both just like anyother time)

There is nothing wrong with lead calling the from behind pushes on rebounds. It makes no sense to have a play right in front of lead and not call it. especially when lead is there and with the best angle.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Strong side officiating is taught by many a league. There is nothing wrong with having two guys on same side of floor. It is even encouraged in the NF manual if I remember right. Lead needs to get across and ref where he needs to when the ball or low post players are there. It is the best way to ref a 2 person game
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: when does this happen??

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

Actually trail has lane line to side line opposite lead UNLESS lead comes over. They changed that two years ago.
Fair enough...I'm just expecting the lead to come over when the ball is in low and near the paint on trail side.

I would say .... trail has lane line to side line opposite lead UNTIL lead comes over.