The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: I guess Bush likes to flip flop too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Perhaps Kerry should make the argument that Iraq was better off with the stability of Saddam.
I thought we went to war because Iraq was a threat to the United States, not because he was good or bad for Iraq. Or is that a different position from the original reason we were given? Or was it for terrorism? Or was it for Weapons of Mass Destruction? Which excuse was it?

Peace
Does it have to be just a single reason. I'm sure the decision to go to war had many facets and was not a simple decision. Those that try to require a single reason are only looking for a way to criticize those who were face with making a very difficult decision.

One of the above mentioned reasons alone is not be sufficent for choosing to go to war. Going to Iraq was the cumulative influence of all of the above. I'm sure that every conflict that the US has EVER been in had the USA's interest in mind in addition to all other possible issues.

Also, don't discount the fact that many people in power in Arab nations would really like to completely eliminate Israel. If Israel never struck again, they would continue to be attacked.
...which relates to slapping the backboard, how?
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 06:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef

I had a situation a few years ago where a kid went up late for a block chasing down a fast break and slapped the hell outta the backboard as the basket went in. I didn't even think twice about ringing him up. At the time, I was in a location where teams played each other on back to back nights.

The next night, at the captains conference, this player wanted to ask a question. Of course, he wanted to know why he got T'd up for smacking the backboard, and he claimed he was "just tryin to block the shot." I just grinned at him and let him know how loudly I heard it, as well as everyone else in the gym, and that I was the trail official just coming across half court when it occurred.

He just kind of smiled, said OK, and that was the end of that.

Just so everybody is clear on this aspect too, how loud or how hard the slap may be is not relevant to this call either. It's strictly a judgement call. If the calling official felt that the slap was a legitimate attempt to make a block, then it's always a legal play- no matter how hard the board is hit, how loud the slap is or whether the ball ends up spinning out or not. The "T" is for intentionally slapping the backboard when a shot is involved with the intent of drawing attention, venting frustration, etc. Any doubts, don't call it.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

JR,
"The "T" is for intentionally slapping the backboard when a shot is involved with the intent of drawing attention, venting frustration, etc."

A "T" would also be applicable when a shot is not involved wouldn't it?
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
JR,
"The "T" is for intentionally slapping the backboard when a shot is involved with the intent of drawing attention, venting frustration, etc."

yes.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 09:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
JR,

A "T" would be applicable on a non-shot only if you deemed the slap an "unsporting" act. Personally, if someone is whacking the board away from the play, I think that I might warn them first before "T"ing them.

According to the strict language of the pertinent NFHS rule- R10-3-5(b), the slap has to be on a shot(ball in flight,touching the board,in the basket or cylinder). Casebook play 10.3.5COMMENT says the same thing- i.e. a shot or try has to be involved.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 09:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
Quote:
JR,

yes.
Maybe.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Opening and closing this thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
It has been brought to my attention that some people thought that I had closed this thread. I am not sure who closed this thread but I did NOT close it. I just suggested that the political discussion portion of it would be better served in the General Forum. I would like to see it this thread continue its discussion on making contact with the the backboard.

MTD, Sr.
You mean you voted for locking the thread before you voted against it?
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
My favorite is the 2-hand dunk/chin-up/2-hand slap (one on each side of the rim). I had one of these last year in a juco game. Kid looked at like me like "Whaaaaaa...?"
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[B[/B]
Just to keep things straight, whether the slap caused the ball to miss or not isn't really a factor in this call. The "T" is for a player INTENTIONALLY slapping the backboard or making the ring vibrate. If the defensive player tried to make a legitimate block in the ref's opinion, and he just missed the ball but still made the backboard vibrate with the miss, then there's no call even if the ball does happen to spin out of the basket. [/B][/QUOTE]

How can you actually say if someone goes to block a shot and misses the ball and slaps the backboard and the ball is on the ring and after the slap the ball comes off the ring, how can you actually say the ball wasn't caused to come off by the slap???? you don't know for sure it was, but you don't know for sure it wasn't??? you can't take the chance that is was caused by the slap can you???? even though it wasn't intentional??? i know you can't give the kid the basket but even though it wasn't intentional can't you give the kid the "T" because he intentionally went to block the shot, but missed and hit the board, doesnt that mean he intentionally hit the board??

[Edited by jritchie on Oct 7th, 2004 at 09:27 AM]
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
you can't take the chance that is was caused by the slap can you???? even though it wasn't intentional???
J, JR is correct of course. The technical foul is for "intentionally" slapping the backboard. If you think it was part of a play on the ball, then you don't call the T; even if the ball then bounces off the rim.

If you're saying that if the ball bounces off the rim, you are going to assume that the slap was intentional, I think that's probably not a good approach. JMO.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

sooo what do you tell the screaming coach?

"sorry coach, the player was going for the ball and just missed it and slapped the backboard causing the ball to come off the rim, but since he was going for the shot i can't call goal tending or basket interference and can't give him a "T" either because it was an accident he hit the backboard and caused the ball to fall off the rim, i guess your just outta luck and 2 points less than you should be"
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:51am
In Memoriam

Re: sooo what do you tell the screaming coach?

Quote:
"sorry coach, the player was going for the ball and just missed it and slapped the backboard causing the ball to come off the rim, but since he was going for the shot i can't call goal tending or basket interference and can't give him a "T" either because it was an accident he hit the backboard and caused the ball to fall off the rim, i guess your just outta luck and 2 points less than you should be"
It's much easier to say "Coach, what he did WAS LEGAL!"- which also happens to be the truth.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

so it's legal...

to ACCIDENTALLY smack the backboard just hard enough to make it shake (you know how some of these goals are, really loose and shakey)and make a shot miss without any penalty! you just tell them it's part of the game or what??
sitch "two points down, last second layup by A1, B1 jumps up to block the shot, misses the ball and hits the board, causing the board to sway back on forth, therefore causing the ball to bounce of the rim and roll of the rim, Team B wins" NO CALL...GAME OVER wow, would hate to have to let that go!!! better have some good security, legally i guess there is nothing to call, but we should be able to do something...
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

if it's the rule, then it's the rule but that would be real hard to let it go and do nothing, especially if you were sure rim vibrated while ball was contacting. D-coach could put his best leapers/slappers in and have them swing at the ball. since most shooters are below 50%, i wonder what their percentages are when shooting at a vibrating rim.

Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:16am
In Memoriam

Re: so it's legal...

Quote:
to ACCIDENTALLY smack the backboard just hard enough to make it shake (you know how some of these goals are, really loose and shakey)and make a shot miss without any penalty! you just tell them it's part of the game or what??
sitch "two points down, last second layup by A1, B1 jumps up to block the shot, misses the ball and hits the board, causing the board to sway back on forth, therefore causing the ball to bounce of the rim and roll of the rim, Team B wins" NO CALL...GAME OVER wow, would hate to have to let that go!!! better have some good security, legally i guess there is nothing to call, but we should be able to do something...
As per the rules, that is a legal play. If, in the official's opinion, it is a legitimate attemp to block the shot, there is never a "T" involved. Whether you agree with it or not doesn't make it illegal. The purpose and intent of the rule isn't to penalize a legal, attempted defensive play.