The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

I'm a little confused; somewhere along the way during a summer of camps/tournaments etc. I thought I understood that the number of persons filling the free throw lane spots had been changed for the defensive (non-shooting team) and 2 of the shooting team.

Can someone help me out?
Is this true for any level? NCAA? Federation? Thank you.

I found this but it is old... 2000/01

Rules Changes for only Women’s Basketball for 2000–2001The third defensive player positioned on the free-throw lane line will be per-mitted to line up at either the third or fourth position to give that player theflexibility to be closer to the free thrower shooter in an attempt to block out.(As last year a total of five players, three defensive and two offensive will bepermitted to occupy positions on the free throw lane line during the adminis-tration of free throws.All Division I certified games, all exhibition games played in Division I and IIand all scrimmages in Division III shall play with an experimental rule. Play-ers occupying spaces on the lane line during a free throw attempt willbe permitted to move up to the second, third and fourth lane positions,leaving the space lower than the block open (unoccupied).
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tee
I'm a little confused; somewhere along the way during a summer of camps/tournaments etc. I thought I understood that the number of persons filling the free throw lane spots had been changed for the defensive (non-shooting team) and 2 of the shooting team.

Can someone help me out?
Is this true for any level? NCAA? Federation? Thank you.

I found this but it is old... 2000/01

Rules Changes for only Women’s Basketball for 2000–2001The third defensive player positioned on the free-throw lane line will be per-mitted to line up at either the third or fourth position to give that player theflexibility to be closer to the free thrower shooter in an attempt to block out.(As last year a total of five players, three defensive and two offensive will bepermitted to occupy positions on the free throw lane line during the adminis-tration of free throws.All Division I certified games, all exhibition games played in Division I and IIand all scrimmages in Division III shall play with an experimental rule. Play-ers occupying spaces on the lane line during a free throw attempt willbe permitted to move up to the second, third and fourth lane positions,leaving the space lower than the block open (unoccupied).
FED, NCAA Men: The defense must occupy the spots below the block. Two additional defenders and two offensive player may occupy the second and third spots on each side. The spot nearest the thrower is left vacant. If a spot is left vacant, the defense can move down or the offense can move up.

NCAA Women: Same as above, but the space below the block is left vacant -- move all "requirements" up (closer to he thrower) a space. Also, spots are "designated" for defensive and offensive players -- if a spot is vacant, an opponent can't occupy the space.

Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 07:26am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

NCAA Women: Same as above, but the space below the block is left vacant -- move all "requirements" up (closer to he thrower) a space. Also, spots are "designated" for defensive and offensive players -- if a spot is vacant, an opponent can't occupy the space.

bob,
Could it be that only three Women defenders are allowed on the lane, rather than the 4 allowed by Men?
mick
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

bob,
Could it be that only three Women defenders are allowed on the lane, rather than the 4 allowed by Men?
mick
From the 2004 NCAA Rule Book:

Art. 5. (Women) A maximum of six players (four opponents of the free-thrower and two teammates of the free-thrower) shall be permitted on the lane. All other players shall be behind the free-throw line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line.
a. The two lane spaces closest to the end line shall remain open.
b. The first space on each side of the lane that is closer to the free-throw line after the block is designated for an opponent of the free-throw-er. The next lane space on each side of the lane is designated for a teammate of the free-thrower. The next available space on each side of the lane is designated for an opponent of the free-thrower.
c. Teammates of the free-thrower shall not occupy lane spaces desig-nated for opponents of the free-thrower; opponents of the free-thrower shall not occupy lane spaces designated for teammates of the free-thrower.