The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Question

in a jr high girls game i did tonight. being new to officiatlng games. i asked my partner how i did. he said great expect for one call that was "outside" my area. the call was a jump ball and the players were in is area, but with their backs to him. so, my partner's view was blocked. was i wrong to call it? i don't think so. but, i'm new.

my partner wasn't upset. just said don't make calls outside my "L" or coverage area.

your thoughts? thanks!
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you probably had to be there, but, as a general rule of thumb, I wouldn't call anything in my partner's coverage area unless I am sure of the call (sounds like this was not a problem here) and I am absolutely positive my partner didn't see it (I think this is what your question is-wait a second to make the call, instead of just blowing the whistle right away). The reason it's your partner's zone is because they are closer and can see things you cannot. In the areas where the zones sort of overlap, it's not as big of a deal as if you call something right in the middle of your partners zone. That's where you get "blarge" calls and such.

If that's the only thing you did wrong all game, you should be proud of that.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 08:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Your partner was right.

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBark
in a jr high girls game i did tonight. being new to officiatlng games. i asked my partner how i did. he said great expect for one call that was "outside" my area. the call was a jump ball and the players were in is area, but with their backs to him. so, my partner's view was blocked. was i wrong to call it? i don't think so. but, i'm new.

my partner wasn't upset. just said don't make calls outside my "L" or coverage area.

your thoughts? thanks!
Look at it this way. There is a reason he passed on it. Maybe he saw the entire thing and decided there was nothing to call. He did not say that to you just to say it. Of course you might have a point of view, but so does he. You have to trust each other out there.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBark

your thoughts? thanks!
Just something to think about John. If you were watching the two players involved in the held ball (out of your area) and he was watching the two players involved in the held ball (like he should be), who was watching the other 8 players?

Like others have said, if that's his only criticism you must have done a great job. The more games you ref and the more you trust your partner, the easier it will be to stay in your own area.

Z
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

We all have done this.

I would also like to make it clear, when starting out we all have done this at some point. When you are new you tend to ball watch. The better we get or the more we advance, the more you realize the better calls are the off-ball variety. So do not feel bad when you make these kinds of mistakes. It takes experience working games and working with different partners to call more off ball calls. Z makes a great point. If you are both watching only two players, the other 8 might be doing all kind of things and you missed it.

I suggest that when you watch basketball on TV or at a game, watch the screens, the post play and any actions of the players without the ball. You will begin to understand all the things that you miss when you are watching outside of your area. I have been to a lot of camps and the times I and many officials get commended on were the off ball calls. And most of the time when an official gets ripped by an evaluator it is usually for off-ball calls not made. You have to trust your partner and watch the area that is assigned to you. There are always exceptions. But to become just a good official to a great official you have to cover your area first.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
"Nothing is going to happen to the ball. We know this because all three of the officials are watching it."
Quote from an evaluator at camp.