View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 09:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

We all have done this.

I would also like to make it clear, when starting out we all have done this at some point. When you are new you tend to ball watch. The better we get or the more we advance, the more you realize the better calls are the off-ball variety. So do not feel bad when you make these kinds of mistakes. It takes experience working games and working with different partners to call more off ball calls. Z makes a great point. If you are both watching only two players, the other 8 might be doing all kind of things and you missed it.

I suggest that when you watch basketball on TV or at a game, watch the screens, the post play and any actions of the players without the ball. You will begin to understand all the things that you miss when you are watching outside of your area. I have been to a lot of camps and the times I and many officials get commended on were the off ball calls. And most of the time when an official gets ripped by an evaluator it is usually for off-ball calls not made. You have to trust your partner and watch the area that is assigned to you. There are always exceptions. But to become just a good official to a great official you have to cover your area first.

Peace