The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Can an offensive player be called for kicking the ball? Ball was loose on the floor, in the process of going to retrieve it (in traffic), he kicked it. I don't know if I could say he "intentionally" kicked it though. So, maybe I "kicked" the call!
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Either team that intentionally kicks a ball would be a violation.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely, yes!!

Kicking is a violation by either team. While you will see it done by the defense 97% of the time, the definition of kicking (4-29) has no offense/defense restrictions.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 02:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It does have to be intentional, though. Most of the time when the offense kicks the ball, it's unintentional and therefore not a violation.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
It does have to be intentional, though. Most of the time when the offense kicks the ball, it's unintentional and therefore not a violation.
When would the offense ever intentionally kick the ball? So, kicking ball should never be called on the offense, since it is never intentional. Unless of course it's a Globetrotter game!
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
When would the offense ever intentionally kick the ball? So, kicking ball should never be called on the offense, since it is never intentional. Unless of course it's a Globetrotter game!
Wait a second...I can think of one instance. When there is a loose ball and the defense is going for the steal and the offensive player kicks th ball OOB. But I don't think this sitch was what thread was talking about.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Wait a second...I can think of one instance. When there is a loose ball and the defense is going for the steal and the offensive player kicks th ball OOB. But I don't think this sitch was what thread was talking about.
Ooops never mind! I re-read original post and this situation could have been called for a kicking violation on the offense.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Sometimes when the ball is loose like that and players are on the floor, you'll see a player use a foot to try to bring the ball closer to his hands. He's not kicking it away from anybody, but he's still intentionally making contact with his foot. That would be a kick.