The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Offensive kick (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/15458-offensive-kick.html)

tjchamp Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:04pm

Can an offensive player be called for kicking the ball? Ball was loose on the floor, in the process of going to retrieve it (in traffic), he kicked it. I don't know if I could say he "intentionally" kicked it though. So, maybe I "kicked" the call!

Rickref Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:05pm

Either team that intentionally kicks a ball would be a violation.

Mark Dexter Mon Sep 20, 2004 01:52pm

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely, yes!!

Kicking is a violation by either team. While you will see it done by the defense 97% of the time, the definition of kicking (4-29) has no offense/defense restrictions.

Adam Mon Sep 20, 2004 02:52pm

It does have to be intentional, though. Most of the time when the offense kicks the ball, it's unintentional and therefore not a violation.

TravelinMan Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
It does have to be intentional, though. Most of the time when the offense kicks the ball, it's unintentional and therefore not a violation.
When would the offense ever intentionally kick the ball? So, kicking ball should never be called on the offense, since it is never intentional. Unless of course it's a Globetrotter game!

TravelinMan Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:

When would the offense ever intentionally kick the ball? So, kicking ball should never be called on the offense, since it is never intentional. Unless of course it's a Globetrotter game!

Wait a second...I can think of one instance. When there is a loose ball and the defense is going for the steal and the offensive player kicks th ball OOB. But I don't think this sitch was what thread was talking about.

TravelinMan Mon Sep 20, 2004 08:32pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wait a second...I can think of one instance. When there is a loose ball and the defense is going for the steal and the offensive player kicks th ball OOB. But I don't think this sitch was what thread was talking about.

Ooops never mind! I re-read original post and this situation could have been called for a kicking violation on the offense.

ChuckElias Tue Sep 21, 2004 08:26am

Sometimes when the ball is loose like that and players are on the floor, you'll see a player use a foot to try to bring the ball closer to his hands. He's not kicking it away from anybody, but he's still intentionally making contact with his foot. That would be a kick.