The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Question

Can anyone tell me where it is written that the trail official is supposed to blow his whistle at games end(in high school).
A couple seasoned guys tried to tell me this. Is is possible a college thing?

Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 11:10am
Esteemed Participant

Been round and round with local guys about this...it's not in the NFHS book, so it's not an NFHS mechanic. It is an NCAA Women's mechanic and (I believe) an NCAA Men's mechanic...having said that, our local HS Assignor has told our people to do it, so they all do it...that's kinda the way it works.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Bobcat,

It's probably a "regional" thing. I was taught to do it that way when I started and always have. There is no mechanic that specifically says that an official has to blow the whistle to end the half or game. That said, it makes sense to me that one official blow the whistle to end the game (or half) because the horn does not always indicate the end of the game (if a shot is in the air or if there is a foul etc).

As long as you go over it in pregame with your partners and all officials are on the same page, you'll find a way that works. I've always found that the trail blowing it dead works beautifully but I know that in some areas they can't stand it when an official blows their whistle to end a half or game. Just do what's accepted in your area.

Z
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 11:52am
cingram

I have been told to blow the whistle only when it matters.

If there is a last second shot but it doesn't get off on time - you immediately blow it dead in the air. Otherwise there is no need to draw attention to yourself.

Your assignor should be able to clarify what they want to see from you.

--
Christina
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 12:01pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Blow the whistle to stop continuing play.

Even though it is a CCA mechanic, the players at that level generally stop regardless of the whistle.

mick
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
it makes sense to me that one official blow the whistle to end the game (or half) because the horn does not always indicate the end of the game (if a shot is in the air or if there is a foul etc).
Z, to me this is exactly why it doesn't make sense to blow the whistle. The horn ends play unless there is a foul or violation while the ball is still live. So if you blow your whistle, what are you telling people? Hey, I've got a foul simultaneous with the horn!!!

Having said that, I blow the whistle in my NCAA games. I still don't do it for FED games, tho.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
it makes sense to me that one official blow the whistle to end the game (or half) because the horn does not always indicate the end of the game (if a shot is in the air or if there is a foul etc).
Z, to me this is exactly why it doesn't make sense to blow the whistle. The horn ends play unless there is a foul or violation while the ball is still live. So if you blow your whistle, what are you telling people? Hey, I've got a foul simultaneous with the horn!!!

Having said that, I blow the whistle in my NCAA games. I still don't do it for FED games, tho.
Chuck,

Maybe it makes sense to you to not blow the whistle because you are an official and understand what whistles mean and what horns mean. The average fan doesn't have a clue and you know that many coaches don't read rulebooks either. Around here, everyone knows that the whistle ends the half or game which cuts down on confusion for everyone. And being a ref, you should know that I don't have a simultanrous foul with the horn if I blow my whistle and raise a "stop time" signal - not a fist.

Z
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cingram
I have been told to blow the whistle only when it matters.

If there is a last second shot but it doesn't get off on time - you immediately blow it dead in the air. Otherwise there is no need to draw attention to yourself.

Your assignor should be able to clarify what they want to see from you.

--
Christina
I was told this too. In fact, I was told not to blow my whistle to bring subs in unless I needed to get my partners attention before (s)he puts the ball in play.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
... The average fan doesn't have a clue and you know that many coaches don't read rulebooks either. Around here, everyone knows that the whistle ends the half or game which cuts down on confusion for everyone....
That dog don't hunt, Z!
The "average" fan wants to understand. What confuses them is when an official in one game does something different than another official in another game.

It's the sub-average fan that doesn't have much of a clue.
And, I just know you don't gear your game in order to allow the sub-average fan to understand stuff.
mick

Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
... The average fan doesn't have a clue and you know that many coaches don't read rulebooks either. Around here, everyone knows that the whistle ends the half or game which cuts down on confusion for everyone....
That dog don't hunt, Z!
The "average" fan wants to understand. What confuses them is when an official in one game does something different than another official in another game.

It's the sub-average fan that doesn't have much of a clue.
And, I just know you don't gear your game in order to allow the sub-average fan to understand stuff.
mick

You lost me somewhere there Mick (not hard to do). I think we can all agree that this isn't specifically addressed in the NFHS manual (which means that we'll all have our own opinions) so you should do what's accepted in your area. Nuff' said.

Z
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Chuck,

Maybe it makes sense to you to not blow the whistle because you are an official and understand what whistles mean and what horns mean. The average fan doesn't have a clue and you know that many coaches don't read rulebooks either. Around here, everyone knows that the whistle ends the half or game which cuts down on confusion for everyone. And being a ref, you should know that I don't have a simultanrous foul with the horn if I blow my whistle and raise a "stop time" signal - not a fist.

Z
At the end of the game whether it's a horn or a whistle the same rules apply for a live or dead ball, so the whistle is redundant and may cause confussion.

The whistle is for a shot that is after the horn, hit your whistle and wipe it out emphatically. The only other time you'd need your whistle is if you have a timing error...not starting the clock...with an official's count.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Let me just throw this little variable into the mix.

How many of you have ever gone to administer a throwin, and just after you give the ball to the the player and start your count, the fool running the board hits the buzzer for a late reporting sub. What do you do there? Tell them to play on cause "it's the whistle that stops the play, not the horn"?

Or even in the middle of the play, the bench hits a horn for a sub when they have a brainfart.

I guess what I'm saying is, some players are taught that until the whistle blows, keep playing.
Apples and oranges.

There is a difference between an accidental horn and the horn to end a quarter.

We've all had horn-happy tables, but those situations don't apply to an end of quarter horn and whistle.
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 07:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is, some players are taught that until the whistle blows, keep playing.
If play continues, blow the Fox.
mick
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 09:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
Quote:
mick
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
mick
I've only been reffing 2 years. What was the whistle everyone was using before the fox40? How long has the fox40 been THE whistle?