View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 15, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
it makes sense to me that one official blow the whistle to end the game (or half) because the horn does not always indicate the end of the game (if a shot is in the air or if there is a foul etc).
Z, to me this is exactly why it doesn't make sense to blow the whistle. The horn ends play unless there is a foul or violation while the ball is still live. So if you blow your whistle, what are you telling people? Hey, I've got a foul simultaneous with the horn!!!

Having said that, I blow the whistle in my NCAA games. I still don't do it for FED games, tho.
Chuck,

Maybe it makes sense to you to not blow the whistle because you are an official and understand what whistles mean and what horns mean. The average fan doesn't have a clue and you know that many coaches don't read rulebooks either. Around here, everyone knows that the whistle ends the half or game which cuts down on confusion for everyone. And being a ref, you should know that I don't have a simultanrous foul with the horn if I blow my whistle and raise a "stop time" signal - not a fist.

Z