The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

High School Rules apply.

The score is tied at the end of regulation play. We are ready to start overtime play. The clock is set and all the players are on the court ready for the tip. I am standing at center court ready to enter the circle and toss the ball. Before I enter the center circle the red coach hollers to me that one of the blue team players is illegal. I walked over to the coach to get an explaination and he told me that the blue player had fouled out in the 3 quarter of regulation play. I didn't remember if that was true so I ask the blue team coach if it was and she said yes. I gave her a technical and explained why.
My question to you is, was I correct in giving her a technical with the events that I described or does the ball have to be put in play before I issue a technical.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

First of all, you shouldn't ask the blue coach if the player had fouled out... you should ask the scorekeeper (and an alert scorekeeper would have let you know before it became a problem in this case anyway). But it sounds like you aren't getting much help from your scoring table in this game. :-)

The overtime hasn't started yet so I would just tell the coach that the player has been disqualified and not eligible to play (and avoid the technical). If this didn't get discovered until the ball became live, then you have a T.

Z
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 12:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky50
High School Rules apply.

The score is tied at the end of regulation play. We are ready to start overtime play. The clock is set and all the players are on the court ready for the tip. I am standing at center court ready to enter the circle and toss the ball. Before I enter the center circle the red coach hollers to me that one of the blue team players is illegal. I walked over to the coach to get an explaination and he told me that the blue player had fouled out in the 3 quarter of regulation play. I didn't remember if that was true so I ask the blue team coach if it was and she said yes. I gave her a technical and explained why.
My question to you is, was I correct in giving her a technical with the events that I described or does the ball have to be put in play before I issue a technical.
You did give a direct technical to the blue head coach, and not the disqualified player, didn't you?

You were completely correct in issuing the T after the blue coach admitted that she knew that her player had fouled out. That's a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rule, and is penalized immediately. It doesn't matter that the ball hasn't become live yet. If you didn't think it was deliberate, you coulda just sent the player back to the bench. Of course, as soon as the ball becomes live, it's an automatic T.

Of course, it also helps that the FED has issued a new case book play for this coming year that covers this one.

The ruling for new casebook play 10.5.3(b) states- "A5 will not actually "participate" until the ball becomes live. If detected prior to the ball becoming live, A5 would be directed to the bench and no penalty assessed UNLESS THE OFFICIAL DEEMED THAT IT WAS A DELIBERATE ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT THE RULES. If detected after the ball becomes live, it is a technical foul charged directly to the head coach. The player is immediately removed from the game and team B is awarded two free throws and the ball". Once the head coach admitted that she knew that she was putting a disqualified player back in the game, I don't think that you have any choice but to T her up. That's obviously an unsporting act.

Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'll just add that you still play the ENTIRE four minute extra period no matter what the result of the technical FTs. They are part of the extra period.