Thread: illegal player
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 12:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky50
High School Rules apply.

The score is tied at the end of regulation play. We are ready to start overtime play. The clock is set and all the players are on the court ready for the tip. I am standing at center court ready to enter the circle and toss the ball. Before I enter the center circle the red coach hollers to me that one of the blue team players is illegal. I walked over to the coach to get an explaination and he told me that the blue player had fouled out in the 3 quarter of regulation play. I didn't remember if that was true so I ask the blue team coach if it was and she said yes. I gave her a technical and explained why.
My question to you is, was I correct in giving her a technical with the events that I described or does the ball have to be put in play before I issue a technical.
You did give a direct technical to the blue head coach, and not the disqualified player, didn't you?

You were completely correct in issuing the T after the blue coach admitted that she knew that her player had fouled out. That's a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rule, and is penalized immediately. It doesn't matter that the ball hasn't become live yet. If you didn't think it was deliberate, you coulda just sent the player back to the bench. Of course, as soon as the ball becomes live, it's an automatic T.

Of course, it also helps that the FED has issued a new case book play for this coming year that covers this one.

The ruling for new casebook play 10.5.3(b) states- "A5 will not actually "participate" until the ball becomes live. If detected prior to the ball becoming live, A5 would be directed to the bench and no penalty assessed UNLESS THE OFFICIAL DEEMED THAT IT WAS A DELIBERATE ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT THE RULES. If detected after the ball becomes live, it is a technical foul charged directly to the head coach. The player is immediately removed from the game and team B is awarded two free throws and the ball". Once the head coach admitted that she knew that she was putting a disqualified player back in the game, I don't think that you have any choice but to T her up. That's obviously an unsporting act.