View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 20, 2001, 10:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
When you move the defender back and designate a new throw in
plane this only applies to the defender on the ball. The defender may not cross through this plane to obstruct the throw in but may make a play if the in bounding play is in that area. So if you have designated a new plane and the defender steps or reaches through it is a violation (warning
on 1st, T on any others, if an offensive player move into that area the defender may defend that play.
SEE casebookplay 7.6.3D

NFHS R1-S2-A2 states that the "restraining line becomes the boundary line during the throw-in on that side or end, as in R7-S6. It continues to be the boundary until the ball crosses the line." That means that the only player that can be on the out-of-bounds side of the boundary line is the player making the throw-in (exception: a throw-in after a successful or awarded field goal or free throw). This restriction ends once the passed ball crosses the boundary line.

I have a problem with Part (b) of Casebook Play 7.6.3D. I do not understand what is meant by an offensive player moving into the area means. Whether there is an actual restraining line drawn on the court or the officials have to use an imaginary restraining line if a player (offensive or defensive) other than the player making the throw-in (see the exception above) a throw-in violation has occured.

This is why Casebook Play 7.6.3D(b) puzzles me.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio