The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Question

Has anyone ever had a cortisone injection in the heel for treatment of plantar fasciaitis? Being that I hate needles, I am wondering about the benefits derived from this type of treatment. Any success stories?
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 08:43am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/gene...heelspur_2.htm

"What is the treatment of a heel spur?
Treatment of plantar fasciitis is with short-term rest and controlling the inflammation. Avoiding the precipitating activity (e.g. a few day off jogging or prolonged standing/walking), as well as icing, exercises and stretches, and anti-inflammatory medications. These modalities alone will cure the plantar fasciitis pain in most patients. Be forewarned that the symptoms will not resolve quickly. Most patients find relief within about three months, and over 90% within one year.

If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation of the fascia. Some physicians do not like to do this because there are potentially serious problems with cortisone injections in this area. The two problems that cause concern are fat pad atrophy and plantar fascial rupture. Both of these problems occur in a very small percentage of patients, but they can cause a worsening of heel pain symptoms. "
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Has anyone ever had a cortisone injection in the heel for treatment of plantar fasciaitis? Being that I hate needles, I am wondering about the benefits derived from this type of treatment. Any success stories?
I had one in my knee a while ago. As I recall the doctor stuck the needle in there, poked around until he found a spot that made my eyes pop out of my head, said "There it is" and injected it.

I felt better almost immediately, my doctor told me afterwards that there's a little pain killer in there that helps reduce the pain until the cortisone starts to act.

It did help my knee quite a bit but I eventually had to have it scoped anyway to take out some scar tissue.

Good luck.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:12am
Esteemed Participant

I've had the knee thing done too...and it hurts when they find the right spot, but like Dan says, the relief is within seconds and it helped a lot!
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I had one in my ankle...my doctor started with a pain killer then moved to the cortisone...it doesn't hurt nearly as bad as you think it is going to, or at least that was my feeling. I did leave permanent finger prints in the table from white knuckling it though...not from the pain, from the thought of the pain LOL....I however do have a brother who is a pharmacist, who reccomends avoiding cortisone, especially if it will have to be a continuous long term solution (ie several injections)..the long term effects are far worse than the short term gain...
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with CMatthews. I received a shot in the ankle to deal with tendonitis back in the day. I remember thinking the pain would be alot worse.

The Dr. injected the tendon area. When I thought the shot was over, I looked down at my ankle. He disassembled the needle from the syringe (needle still stuck in tendon!). He then attached the syringe with the cortisone and injected it. Turns out the first shot was to numb the area.

My thought now is, I wonder if he was trying to save money by using only 1 needle or if he had depleted his supply of needles earlier in the day. Or maybe this is just a Wyoming thing.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Or maybe this is just a Wyoming thing.
Naw, THIS is just a Wyoming thing:

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:07pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Or maybe this is just a Wyoming thing.
Naw, THIS is just a Wyoming thing:

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
A guy needs a sheep skin.
Thought that was a colorado buffalo thing.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

What Mick said is exactly right.

Possibly your Dr. can give you some really really good anti-inflamitories <-sp) and do some heel stretching. While seated and using a rolled up towel, place the ball of your foot in the center of the towel and then you can pull the towel and stretch that heel. Do this several times per day and especially in the morning before you walk on it. I'm pain free for 1 1/2 year.

Best thing for this is rest and see ya next month.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

When I wrote "what Mick said is right", I hadn't read the whole thread. The comments I'm referring to is his orig reply.

Sorry for the confusion and I think I just learned a lesson.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Having battled this condition for 2 years, I had to resort to surgery. Mine was a fairly unique situation, as I had a bone spur that was rubbing on a connecting band on the side of my heel. The sawbones went in and "detached" the connecting tissue and I am on the road to recovery. I had the procedure on Aug. 6, 2004 and should be back to workouts next week. If the condition is not related to a bone spur, there is equipment that can increase bloodflow to the foot/heel area. Follow this link (or cut and paste it to your browser): http://www.tpmassageball.com/.

I found some relief when the pain was at its worst with the massage ball and the baller block from this company. It also is good (the baller block) for achilles tendon massage. Gives a great deep tissue massage.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:24pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Has anyone ever had a cortisone injection in the heel for treatment of plantar fasciaitis? Being that I needles, I am wondering about the benefits derived from this type of treatment. Any success stories?
I had 3 injections in each foot for my battle with plantar fasciaitis. That is the most that my dr. would do. The injection thins the plantar fascia and can lead to a rupture if it gets too thin. I had only temporary relief from my pain and ended up having a release on the p.f. My dr told me that I was in the "lucky" 5% of people who don't respond well to the typical treatments (ice, anti inflamitories (including cortizone shots), orthodics, stretching, etc.) and I only got long term relief from the surgery.

The shots weren't any fun, but they did help temporarily (for me anyway). Lots of people get relief from the shots. Email me if you want more info.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

I had problems with plantar fasciaitis to the point I could barely walk the morning after a game. I had shoe inserts (orthotics?) prescribed by a podiatrist. After a few months, the pain was completely gone. That was two years ago and I have had no heel problems since then.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
I thought the last time you brought that picture out that you got from my mom, that we would let it rest LOL
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 05:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Mick,
I thought the last time you brought that picture out that you got from my mom, that we would let it rest LOL
JR did it.
I ain't that clever.
Now ewe need a cigarette?
mick