The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 12:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,674
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
I wasn't saying everyone needs to get there an hour beforehand. That is just my personal goal. It gives me time to get my head in to the game and forgot about the days issues.
cm - nobody can criticize you for being too early. And I realize you weren't recommending this for all officials. I just wanted to point out it is tough to officiate while meeting the demands of your main career. Geez I wish I could make a career out of officiating! It makes me feel ALIVE.

Blindzebra - so do you get to speak to the JV officials re their game when they are showering and getting dressed? Seems like a good program.
We talk to them at halftime of their game and we have a website where we give them an electronic evaluation. They are encouraged to stay for our first half and to take part in our halftime talk.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 12:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
As for high school at any level, the guys I've seen coming dressed are the guys showing up 2 minutes before the game.

Use the time to change and pre-game as you do it.
Not a fair comment, IMO.

Start times vary, some HS games start as early as 5:00 or 6:00. For the officials that can make those games, they're often still tight for time.

You imply that those who show up changed are unprofessional. In my experience, that's simply not the case.

As Rut said, adjustments and flexibility must be recognized when they are reasonable and justified. Is it preferable to show up, dressed neatly, and change as you're pre-gaming? Absolutely. Is that always possible? I doubt it.
__________________
HOMER: Just gimme my gun.
CLERK: Hold on, the law requires a five-day waiting period; we've got run a background check...
HOMER: Five days???? But I'm mad NOW!!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 02:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,674
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
As for high school at any level, the guys I've seen coming dressed are the guys showing up 2 minutes before the game.

Use the time to change and pre-game as you do it.
Not a fair comment, IMO.

Start times vary, some HS games start as early as 5:00 or 6:00. For the officials that can make those games, they're often still tight for time.

You imply that those who show up changed are unprofessional. In my experience, that's simply not the case.

As Rut said, adjustments and flexibility must be recognized when they are reasonable and justified. Is it preferable to show up, dressed neatly, and change as you're pre-gaming? Absolutely. Is that always possible? I doubt it.
How is it not fair, if in my experience, guys showing up dressed are the ones showing up right before game time?

The showing up at game time IS unprofessional.It is unfair and stressful to their partner, and it causes stress for the school's AD. If an official can't get there at least 30 minutes before the game, they should not be working the game.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 06:54am
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
I don't think anyone should get bent out of shape over someone's thinking on this subject. We all have had our own experiences. For me, when an official comes to the game dressed it says something about that official more times than not. I do not wear my work clothes to games but I also don't go dressed. I just don't like it. For a high school game a tie isn't needed but it is nice to look professional. For an official that wants to move up this shouldn't be a problem since you will be required to wear a jacket and/or tie for a college game.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 521
Here in Northern Virginia we have to arrive at the gym no later than 30 min before the game for Frosh and JV and 45 min to 1 hour for V. Sport coat/suit coat, tie or turtle neck for the men and business dress for the ladies. The only exception is the military uniform of the day. We can be fined for repeated violations.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 01:25pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,158
Thumbs down Areas are different sometimes.

All I can speak for is my area. It is never acceptable to come dressed to games. NEVER ACCEPTABLE. I cannot think of a single situation where it is. It never was when I did Junior High Games started at 4:30. Now I am sure there are places that allow this. But if you do this in the area I live and with the assignors that I work for, you might find yourself not working as much. I am sure there are places that have different standards, just like everything else we potentially talk about here.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 572
I hear you. Most games I do are Frosh/Soph/JV, which usually start at 4pm. In Houston traffic, and to keep from getting fired at my job, I am usually running into the gym at 3:50, and try to change, within 10 minutes. A pregame is 3 to 4 salient points, then we talk at time-outs.
It is a real incentive to move up to Varsity games in Houston, since they don't start till 7-7:30pm. For those games, you are expected to get there one hour before game time. Which means leaving work at 3:30 anyway, cause it's the middle of rush hour.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,206
To ask someone to go home after work to change into clothes that will be worn for only a few minutes is just silly.

Officiating fees are paying us for the job on the floor. We should generally arrive at the games in a clean presentable fashion. Suits or sport coats are extreme overkill for any HS game. If a person wears one to their day job, keeping it on is fine, but I don't think anyone should be expected to change into a suit just to travel to the game and perhaps sit in the stands for 15 minutes.

I'd even go so far to say that someone who works construction or some other job where they might get dirty should be permitted to go to a game in construciton clothes and clean up at the game site.

Luckily, I work in an industry and for a company that cares only about the work you do and little about how you dress (except in the areas where it would be a safety issue or a direct detriment to the job).

To my games, I wear what I wore to work that day. Often, it is jeans and a knit shirt. Sometimes slacks and a knit shirt. Never a suit. Never a tie. Sometimes, it's a T-shirt.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 06:15pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,158
Just an opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
To my games, I wear what I wore to work that day. Often, it is jeans and a knit shirt. Sometimes slacks and a knit shirt. Never a suit. Never a tie. Sometimes, it's a T-shirt.
I agree with just about everything you are saying. But I would not ever wear a T-Shirt to a "varsity night" contest. I might wear a pair of jeans if they are nicely pressed. But I am going there to do a job, not to hang out. You are judged often by how you look. I know teams that do not allow their players to wear jeans. I think we have to treat the contest like we want to be perceived. And wearing T-shirts and jeans in my opinion is not it during most contests

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,801
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Here in Northern Virginia we have to arrive at the gym no later than 30 min before the game for Frosh and JV and 45 min to 1 hour for V. Sport coat/suit coat, tie or turtle neck for the men and business dress for the ladies. The only exception is the military uniform of the day. We can be fined for repeated violations.

Ref with folks from the Pentagon much?

BTW, uniform of the day? Is Monday USMC?
__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
To ask someone to go home after work to change into clothes that will be worn for only a few minutes is just silly.

Officiating fees are paying us for the job on the floor. We should generally arrive at the games in a clean presentable fashion. Suits or sport coats are extreme overkill for any HS game. If a person wears one to their day job, keeping it on is fine, but I don't think anyone should be expected to change into a suit just to travel to the game and perhaps sit in the stands for 15 minutes.

I'd even go so far to say that someone who works construction or some other job where they might get dirty should be permitted to go to a game in construciton clothes and clean up at the game site.

Luckily, I work in an industry and for a company that cares only about the work you do and little about how you dress (except in the areas where it would be a safety issue or a direct detriment to the job).

To my games, I wear what I wore to work that day. Often, it is jeans and a knit shirt. Sometimes slacks and a knit shirt. Never a suit. Never a tie. Sometimes, it's a T-shirt.
I'm with Camron. We have an official who is a mechanic and often does not have time to go home before his games. He just goes right into the locker room of the school when he arrives and cleans up and changes clothes.

I wear to the game what I wear to work. It's always clean and presentable, never a sportcoat or tie. We've never had to address any of our officials about what they wear to games.

Z

Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 235
Do what your area allows you to do. I would never show up to a game in my uniform. I always change when I get to the game site.
__________________
Treat everyone as you would like to be treated.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 480
Red face

I reffed a game at a nudist colony and had a difficult time deciding what to wear to the game. They said show up in your "suit". I asked if a tie is required and they giggled and replied.."only if it is bow tie".

Upon arriving I realized that I was over dressed for the occaison. I was glad to have brought a neck lanyard to hold my whistle.

__________________
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Chris Z.
Detroit/SE Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cheyenne, wyoming
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
I reffed a game at a nudist colony and had a difficult time deciding what to wear to the game. They said show up in your "suit". I asked if a tie is required and they giggled and replied.."only if it is bow tie".

Upon arriving I realized that I was over dressed for the occaison. I was glad to have brought a neck lanyard to hold my whistle.

but how did you tuck your whistle in your pocket when you were in the restroom???
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 400
In my area, we are discouraged from wearing any part of our official uniform outside of the actual game venue.
In softball for example, it would not be appropriate to wear our game hat around town just because we like the way it looks.

JMHO, but I wouldn't wear any part of my game uniform outside of the actual game.
Maybe it's just our local thing here, but I think it looks like we were/are hurried.
__________________
omq -- "May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1