The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How to dress when headed to the game ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/14691-how-dress-when-headed-game.html)

tnroundballref Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:29am

How do officials dress when arriving to a game (Varsity, College, Professional)?Â* Are there certain requirements in some associations?Â* I know our association offers nice Polo shirts for purchase and my crew wears them uniformly, however this is not mandatory.Â* I see some officials wearing a tie, but when someone else on the crew is in khakis and a t-shirt it looks awful.Â* How is this handled elsewhere?Â* Please advise.
Â*

Jay R Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:55am

I think you answered your own question. Wearing a suit and tie is great when that's the norm. But if you're overdressed, it can be ackward. It is better to be a bit overdressed as opposed to underdressed, but take the lead from the guys who are already there.

[Edited by Jay R on Jul 21st, 2004 at 12:02 PM]

smoref Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:08am

In my high school assoc it is requested that for varsity games you wear dockers and a polo shirt but there are still some guys that come in jeans and t-shirts.

In Junior College we are required to at minimum dress in buisness casual.

Anything above JC we are required to were at least a nice shirt (if not a tie) and a sports coat.

JRutledge Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:30am

I think we need to make it clear that everyone cannot always wear a suit because of the job they have. That might be a problem for some to come in a suit if they are a contractor and do not work directly out of an office. So I would always talk to my assignor about that if you feel that is a problem.

I think the main issue is to wear things that represent professional look. You are going to a game so wearing a suit is not always the best thing, but there are folks that wear that at their business. I try to wear foliating polo shirts or something that represent my job in a polo shirt. I always wear nice slacks and dress shoes. I do this at every varsity and college game I work.

Now I think that this has to be made clear. You should do the same if you are working a sophomore or JV game on the same night or right before a varsity ball game. You will be seen by people that would not ordinarily attend a lower level game and you need to impress those with your professionalism. When you are doing a JV Saturday morning game, wear something that you are comfortable in.

Peace

ref18 Wed Jul 21, 2004 02:26pm

Doesn't anyone show up to their games dressed to referee??

JRutledge Wed Jul 21, 2004 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
I did not see the smile or any funny line, but I hope that this is a joke? ;)

Peace

ref18 Wed Jul 21, 2004 02:37pm

The only time I don't show up in my refereeing uniform is when I'm coming to a game straight from school. In my area, unless it is a college game, most people show up dressed to referee, unless they just came from work or school.

blindzebra Wed Jul 21, 2004 02:56pm

Quote:

The only time I don't show up in my refereeing uniform is when I'm coming to a game straight from school. In my area, unless it is a college game, most people show up dressed to referee, unless they just came from work or school.
On the rare occassion that I'm doing a middle school game, I'll come dressed. Only because they rarely are prepared to have a secure place to change and leave your stuff.

As for high school at any level, the guys I've seen coming dressed are the guys showing up 2 minutes before the game.

Use the time to change and pre-game as you do it.

cmckenna Wed Jul 21, 2004 03:49pm

I agree with Bildzebra. if you have definite knowledge that there will be no place to dress then you have to do what you have to do. Otherwise it is my beliefe that you should NEVER show up dressed. It think it looks really tacky and says to everyone "hey look, i'm a ref".

I can really relate to the fact that the ones that do show up that way are the ones who show up at 5 minutes before start. 90% of my games last year were spent sitting in the officials room waiting for my partner to arrive 5 minutes before game time. I always try to get there 1 hour before.

TravelinMan Wed Jul 21, 2004 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cmckenna
90% of my games last year were spent sitting in the officials room waiting for my partner to arrive 5 minutes before game time. I always try to get there 1 hour before.
cm - getting to the gym an hour before game time is tough for most officials what with their jobs taking precedent. Ideally, I try to get to the gym 40 minutes before tip-off. That allows 10 minutes to get dressed, 15 minutes for pre-game and arrival on floor 15 minutes before game time to check books and speak to captains. Of course, most times I have to combine the dressing with pre-game because I can't get off work more than 1 hour before game (need to allow driving time to get there).

cmckenna Wed Jul 21, 2004 08:28pm

I wasn't saying everyone needs to get there an hour beforehand. That is just my personal goal. It gives me time to get my head in to the game and forgot about the days issues.

blindzebra Wed Jul 21, 2004 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:

90% of my games last year were spent sitting in the officials room waiting for my partner to arrive 5 minutes before game time. I always try to get there 1 hour before.
cm - getting to the gym an hour before game time is tough for most officials what with their jobs taking precedent. Ideally, I try to get to the gym 40 minutes before tip-off. That allows 10 minutes to get dressed, 15 minutes for pre-game and arrival on floor 15 minutes before game time to check books and speak to captains. Of course, most times I have to combine the dressing with pre-game because I can't get off work more than 1 hour before game (need to allow driving time to get there).

In Arizona we have a mentoring program in place, so the varsity officials are expected to watch around a half of the JV game. We need to get there mid-second quarter to do that. I usually see most of the second, all of the third, and go in at around the 6 minute mark in the 4th to get dressed. We do most of our pre-game while observing the JV refs.

BktBallRef Wed Jul 21, 2004 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

I did not see the smile or any funny line, but I hope that this is a joke? ;)

It's pretty routine in this area for officials to show up dressed for both middle school and JV football and basketball games. In baseball and softball, most umpires arrived dressed, no matter what the level of play.

ref18 Wed Jul 21, 2004 09:36pm

Up here, many schools don't have change facilities readily available for referees. Unless I'm at the stadium, I always come dressed to ref a football game, and I always come dressed to ref basketball. Its easier to make sure I've got everything packed when I'm wearing it than getting to the gym and realizing i've forgotten an undershirt or pants.

TravelinMan Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:21pm

Quote:

I wasn't saying everyone needs to get there an hour beforehand. That is just my personal goal. It gives me time to get my head in to the game and forgot about the days issues.
cm - nobody can criticize you for being too early. And I realize you weren't recommending this for all officials. I just wanted to point out it is tough to officiate while meeting the demands of your main career. Geez I wish I could make a career out of officiating! It makes me feel ALIVE.

Blindzebra - so do you get to speak to the JV officials re their game when they are showering and getting dressed? Seems like a good program.