The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am curious about something. Here is my example: a player is making a drive for the basket. The defensive player, while his hands are in the air straight up, is bumping the driving offensive player with his chest. Is this a block, a push, or a no call? Thanks!
Matt
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Based on the information you provided.....

It appears you should be calling a "PUSH".... Although, a whistle and "Blcking" call would be viewed as appropriate by most as well.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Matt: I have a block call all the way on this especially if the contact causes the dribbler to change course or forces him outside is intended line. If it was one small touch and the dribbler chooses to dribble out of the coverage than you have a no-call.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Chesting up

Quote:
Originally posted by MattRef
I am curious about something. Here is my example: a player is making a drive for the basket. The defensive player, while his hands are in the air straight up, is bumping the driving offensive player with his chest. Is this a block, a push, or a no call? Thanks!
Matt
As the others have said, I too would call a Block. Any arguement from the coach ie."His arms were straight up!"

"Got him with the body coach"
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 11:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Either a push or block is appropriate.

If the player with the ball is moving forward, and he's chested-up, I call a block. If he's moving through the key, or similar, then I have a push. Also, I also have a better push signal than a block signal, so when it comes to selling a call and I can call it either, I use a push.

..Mike
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

I have constantly heard it said that was simply good defense and he had the defensive position. Allow me to play devil's advocate for a second and ask this: isn't the defensive player, at some point in time, allowed to be moving and maintain defensive position such that a player control foul can be called on the offensive player. Now understand, the defensive player is moving. I am curious and would like to know, Thanks.
Matt
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Matt --

With good body position, and arms straight up, it's largely a question of who moved toward whom. Notice I'm not saying who initiated contact -- that phrase is too loaded. If they both move a little toward the middle, it's incidental, unless you perceive an illegal advantage. I will call player control if the defender is moving back a little and still gets bumped, even if the bump is slight. Ususally, you can see the lean, the shoulder, the arm-bar (hey, Mick, there it is again!). If you're not seeing any of this clearly, work on your angle and positioning. Move yourself until you see clearly between the two.

juulie
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have constantly heard it said that was simply good defense and he had the defensive position. Allow me to play devil's advocate for a second and ask this: isn't the defensive player, at some point in time, allowed to be moving and maintain defensive position such that a player control foul can be called on the offensive player. Now understand, the defensive player is moving. I am curious and would like to know, Thanks.
Matt
4-44-6
The defender may not "belly up" or use the lower part of the body or arms to cause contact outside his/her vertical plane which is a foul.

Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I will call player control if the defender is moving back a little and still gets bumped, even if the bump is slight.
Is the defender really put at a disadvantage by this? I mean, if the bump is slight and the defender is already moving back, is this really a foul?

It may be better to force the defender to play a little defense in a sitch like this, especially since it sounds like there's no adv. or disadv.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I will call player control if the defender is moving back a little and still gets bumped, even if the bump is slight.
Is the defender really put at a disadvantage by this? I mean, if the bump is slight and the defender is already moving back, is this really a foul?

It may be better to force the defender to play a little defense in a sitch like this, especially since it sounds like there's no adv. or disadv. [/B]
I see your point,; I guess I figure if the defender is backing and the dribbler still gets her, The dribbler is past the limit. Also, I'm still working at the level of play, where defenders apologize for standing their ground. They are very sweet and sincere, and back down too much. I want to send the message that it's okay to not back down.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2001, 03:33pm
Suppref

Quote:
Matt
I guess I would need to know if legal guarding position was established, but i have a no-call as long as the defender doesn't displace the dribbler.