The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Question

Tonight did 3 Adult/Highschool games. One of the Adults told me to blow the f*&^%&# whislte. I blew it and gave him a "t" is that right? Or should have i did something else?
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

LOL. Sounds like a winner to me.

Z
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yup, Brandon. That's a T, even in my varsity games. The T is for the profanity, obviously; not for the "blow the whistle" comment.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 08:09am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Tonight did 3 Adult/Highschool games. One of the Adults told me to blow the f*&^%&# whislte. I blew it and gave him a "t" is that right? Or should have i did something else?
brandan89,
When we are learning this game, our blow reflex is not quite as fast as our judgement reflex.

My guess is that you may have seen several fouls and couldn't get the blow reflex to work. Until that synapse between eyes and cheeks fully develops, be assured that it is okay to have a late whistle and to go get those fouls that you have seen, the fouls tha the voice in your head says, "Shucks, I shoulda got that one."

Too, there is the experience factor of determining what a foul is and what a foul is not. Until you have achieved a comfort zone of foul recognition, blowing the whistle seems to be a better alternative to passing on the contact.

With these two thoughts in mind, add the fact that many shooters "...Know I was fouled", while many defenders "...Never touched 'im".

Should you have T'd the player? Probably.
Should you have done something else? After the "offensive words" (you, or someone, was offended) came outa his mouth, you had no alternative.
mick

As newer officials, we must not overlook the benefit of the Tincture of Time.

Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Some one tells me to blow the F@#%$#$# whistle. I normally blow it, tell them just did! with a big T signal!

Yep whack em, especially in an adult rec league. You rarely ever get paid enough to put up with that B@#^&*()_

Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Yup, Brandon. That's a T, even in my varsity games. The T is for the profanity, obviously; not for the "blow the whistle" comment.
Yes, that ought to be true. My first instinct when someone says, "Blow the whistle!" is to say, "Okay, here you go!" and whack 'em. I never do, but it's so tempting.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 11:52am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Yes, that ought to be true. My first instinct when someone says, "Blow the whistle!" is to say, "Okay, here you go!" and whack 'em. I never do, but it's so tempting.
Why not? You may not have to blow the whistle, but I don't let the comment pass without some response (fans not included)

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I guess that goes with the saying "You better be careful what you wish for because you might just get it."
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

To add to Mick's response

It's okay to have a late whistle. Even with experience we will be late from time to time, because we will hold the whistle to let the play happen.

You will undoubtedly hear, "That was late!" Your reply, "Yes, but it was RIGHT."
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
This is my philosophy:

It's not WHAT they say, it's HOW they say it!

If a player is running down the court, not looking at me, and says, "blow the whistle"...I would usually ignore it. (Possibly have a word with him during a dead ball)
If another player runs up to me and gets in my face yelling, "Blow the whistle!"...that's easy.

Both players SAID the same thing...it's their ACTION that shall be judged unsporting or not IMO.

Same with profanity. If a player swears to himself after a missed basket and it's not heard by anyone but me...I usually let it go. If a player uses the same swear word and has some action with it...(such as directed toward an individual, a call, etc.) then my T is ready and willing.

Side note: If a Coach asks me what his player said...I usually tell them, "Coach, it's not what he said, it's how he said it."
And, if the T is for profanity...I don't tell the Coach the actual swear word...I just tell them the T was for profanity.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 10:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
And, if the T is for profanity...I don't tell the Coach the actual swear word...I just tell them the T was for profanity.
[/B]
Use the famous Davism: "Coach - he said that word that starts with F and ends with UCK and it's not FIRETRUCK."
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Use the famous Davism: "Coach - he said that word that starts with F and ends with UCK and it's not FIRETRUCK."
He said the word that starts with B and ends with ITCH and it ain't BUTT-ITCH.
Old Thu Jul 15, 2004, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Use the famous Davism: "Coach - he said that word that starts with F and ends with UCK and it's not FIRETRUCK." [/B]
YUP...
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Use the famous Davism: "Coach - he said that word that starts with F and ends with UCK and it's not FIRETRUCK." [/B]
Man I gotta remember that one lol.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 11:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Re: To add to Mick's response.....and one step further

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
It's okay to have a late whistle. Even with experience we will be late from time to time, because we will hold the whistle to let the play happen.

You will undoubtedly hear, "That was late!" Your reply, "Yes, but it was RIGHT."

Sometimes, especially when your are new and feeling your way, between the time you see the call and the time you blow the whistle, a fan or coach will shout out the call.
"Travel!" This will often cause one to hesitate even a moment longer. By now the action has proceeded far enough that it is easy to think "too late now," and forget it, even though the call may have been obvious, to you and everyone else. Blow the whistle, even though it may seem veeery late. There is no time limit on getting something right. Also, when you do blow a late whistle after a verbal call from one side, the other side will invariably say, "You're letting them call the game!" This is usually not worthy of a response.

Lonesome Dove