The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
Also, NCAA Men Supervisor of Officials Hank Nichols is on the FIBA panel, so the college game is creeping to the international game.

Big differences (reading):

Free throws - If the free-throw shooter doesn't commit a violation, and it goes in, count the basket and ignore all violations by other players. Violations matter only if the shot doesn't go in. Also, if the shooter makes the violation, the basket is no good.

NEW: Possession Arrow - Also used to start overtime.

"There is no hallowed circle of exile painted under our hoops..... :-)"

NEW: The European professional game under the auspices of the ULEB and the various European professional federations (source: Euroleague.net) will start enforcing the NBA Block/Charge zone starting this year. That league also has a jump ball under NBA procedures. Neither is used in FIBA.

Time Outs are to be called, yes, by the coach, but only on a dead ball or when scored against.

NEW: No substitution restrictions except in final two minutes of a game, after a successful basket, team scored against may substitute. If such team does, other team may.

The Lane: Established in 1956.

Bobby,
Possession arrow to start overtime? Is this new for 2004-2005 because last year the OT started with a Jump Ball.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Just a question about FIBA, do the rule changes come out before or after the Olympic games??
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Just a question about FIBA, do the rule changes come out before or after the Olympic games??
The last rule changes that I am aware of were for 2003-2004.
So I can only assume the Olympics will be governed by these rules. Quite different than what NBA players are used to by the way.
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

I also referee FIBA in the province of Québec in Canada. We will be going to NCAA rules starting with the 2005-06 season. So this is our last season with FIBA rules.

Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I know all extra periods are started with a jumpball
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

FIBA rules

Friends,

FIBA rules and rules at various levels in the US have become almost identical. The most significant difference as someone noted below is that there is no cylinder, i.e. once the ball hits the ring anyone can touch. Of course, the 3-second area is trapezoid as opposed to rectangle - but there is no "camping out" in the 3-second zone any more than in US ball.

The rest of the differences are for the most part technical, i.e. time outs, substitutions, jump balls, etc. Even the 24-second rule has been adjusted to make it identical with thhe US rule. The foul rules are exactly the same - though you sometimes wouldn't know it when watching an int'l game as consistency and cultural difference create other issues.

Todd from Jerusalem
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

New FIBA rules

New FIBA rules take effect after the Olympics and are generally in force for 4 years, i.e. until the next Olympics. Generally there are little or no changes during the 4 years.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Hey Aussie_Dan
yep ive had experience outside of USA,
i ref in western austraila so use FIBA rules
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: FIBA rules

Quote:
Originally posted by toddwar
Friends,

FIBA rules and rules at various levels in the US have become almost identical. The most significant difference as someone noted below is that there is no cylinder, i.e. once the ball hits the ring anyone can touch. Of course, the 3-second area is trapezoid as opposed to rectangle - but there is no "camping out" in the 3-second zone any more than in US ball.

The rest of the differences are for the most part technical, i.e. time outs, substitutions, jump balls, etc. Even the 24-second rule has been adjusted to make it identical with thhe US rule. The foul rules are exactly the same - though you sometimes wouldn't know it when watching an int'l game as consistency and cultural difference create other issues.

Todd from Jerusalem
The rules may seem somewhat similar to the average fan, but when you are officiating, there are tons of differences. I currently use FIBA when I do High School games and NCAA for our college games.

Here are some of the differences:

1. FIBA, the ball becomes live when it is touched by a player on a jump ball. NCAA, when it leaves the ref's hand.

2. Dunking in warm ups, allowed in FIBA.

3. In FIBA, there are no exceptions for returning the ball to the backcourt (during throw ins or when making a defensive play)

4. In FIBA, when the ball or any part of the player's body is in the front court, the ball has FC status (no three point rule when dribbling)

5. Shot clock is 24 seconds and bringing ball to the FC is 8 seconds

6. In FIBA, no imaginary cylinder above the basket. Goaltending is not allowed but once the ball hits the rim and is bouncing above it, there are no restrictions.

7. Slapping the backboard can be basket interference if the ref feels the ball would have gone in. But it would not be a technical foul in FIBA.

8. 3pt line and key are different and in FIBA there can only be 5 players lined up for free throws (3 and 2)

9. Free throws, all violations are ignored if the FT is successful unless the FT shooter violated

10. Traveling, in FIBA it is not traveling when a player falls to the floor with the ball. The rest of the traveling is the same I believe.

11. FIBA, clocks stops after made baskets during the last 2 minutes of the game, substititions are allowed.

12. FIBA, legal to throw the ball over the backboard.

13. FIBA, no time outs from the floor, different # of TO as well.

There are lots of other differences, mostly technical, but when you are going back and forth with two sets of rules, it can be a challenge. A lot of times during a game, I will remind myself this is a FIBA game especially if there is a BC situation or possible basket interference.

[Edited by Jay R on Aug 1st, 2004 at 11:39 AM]
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: FIBA rules

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R

12. FIBA, legal to throw the ball over the basket.
I hope you're not saying it's ILLEGAL to throw the ball over the BASKET in NFHS, NCAA, or the NBA.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: FIBA rules

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

12. FIBA, legal to throw the ball over the basket.
I hope you're not saying it's ILLEGAL to throw the ball over the BASKET in NFHS, NCAA, or the NBA.
Should have been over the BACKBOARD. Sorry
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 09:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Basketball was an assignment by his mentor, Luther H. Gulick to interest the incorrigibles.
So, Rasheed Wallace, Sprewell, Mark Cuban and others ARE playing in the original spirit of basketball!! Interesting!

PS Thanks for all the info, Jack, I'm going to quote you sometime in the future.
There's nothing wrong with Rasheed.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bobby,
Possession arrow to start overtime? Is this new for 2004-2005 because last year the OT started with a Jump Ball.
Yes. New FIBA rule effective October 1.

Time Outs: First half 2, Second half 3, Overtimes 1. Remember time-outs are granted only when the ball is dead or when the calling team has conceded a field goal. The procedure is similar to the NBA's mandatory time-outs which are granted during dead balls, except that a team MUST call the time-out to the scorer (not official). Once the time-out is called, once the team is scored against or the ball is dead, the period begins.

In some FIBA-sanctioned leagues, a media time out is permissable at the halfway mark of a period on the next dead ball.

Note that the Euroleague, televised in the US by NBA TV, does NOT play by NBA rules, but by ULEB (Union of European Basketball Leagues) rules, which are mostly FIBA but have a few NBA differences -- jump balls (no arrow, and players not jumping are allowed in motion during jump balls as to equalise a shorter player by having his team send two players in motion during the jump to "steal" the tap), procedure to start periods 2-4 and overtime (NBA procedure), block/charge arc in the trapezoid ("no charge zone"), time outs (FIBA with a difference -- one can also be called if the last or only free throw is successful), and in the final two minutes, a timeout granted once the ball is dead in the backcourt or called by a team after conceding a basket can result in the ball moved to the centerline, facing the scorer's table. The ball can be advanced to the front or back court in such a time out.

[Edited by Bobby on Aug 16th, 2004 at 10:56 PM]

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Basketball was an assignment by his mentor, Luther H. Gulick to interest the incorrigibles.
So, Rasheed Wallace, Sprewell, Mark Cuban and others ARE playing in the original spirit of basketball!! Interesting!

PS Thanks for all the info, Jack, I'm going to quote you sometime in the future.
There's nothing wrong with Rasheed.
Detroit's been good to him.... I mean, good for him!
Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Oh, now it makes sense!

Quote:

2. Dunking in warm ups, allowed in FIBA.

3. In FIBA, there are no exceptions for returning the ball to the backcourt (during throw ins or when making a defensive play)

4. In FIBA, when the ball or any part of the player's body is in the front court, the ball has FC status (no three point rule when dribbling)

7. Slapping the backboard can be basket interference if the ref feels the ball would have gone in. But it would not be a technical foul in FIBA.

10. Traveling, in FIBA it is not traveling when a player falls to the floor with the ball. The rest of the traveling is the same I believe.
I believe these rules are the same as those that appear in the NFHS Coaches' Manual and the High School Fan Handbook.