The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

No, I'm not referring to disagreeing w/calls, booing, etc. My question is about standing up near the bench.

Big game last night (two local rivals), and I'm on the clock. It's bad enough when the head coach is out of the coaching box (it can be hard to see the court through him/her), but with one of the teams, they consistently had their head coach standing with at least one of his assistant coaches. Every once in a while, the whole bench (players and coaches) would be standing, and I couldn't see that end of the court.

What, if anything, do you as floor officials do in a situation like this?
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sit em down

I do not let players stand during play. If they stand to applaude a good play, dunk, block, etc. and sit back down immediately, it's ok. Several times this year I have had to warn a team to sit down. That is usually enough. I let the head coach have a lot of coaching box, in Arkansas with have a 12' box. That being said, I don't want the coach at or near the table unless it is to correct something. I usually give a warning which works most of the time. Assistant coaches are another matter. I don't let assistant coaches stand, use the box when the head coach is sitting, etc. Exception is 6th grade and under. I let them do all the coaching they need to at the lower level. When they start officiating, I warn the head coach that if his assistant gets a 'T' then he looses the box. That usually works. As long as the coach is coaching, I ignore him/her, when they start trying to help me officiate then I get in a different mode and will deal with the coach as warranted.

Jerry
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

With respect to bench and box, officials tend toward lenient (with some notable exceptions). If there is no problem, then don't bother with it is the best approach, especially when everyone is excitable in a close game. Did you let the referees know that you were having a problem performing your duties?

If you did, they should remind both benches of the rules on the box, that is, one person, in the box - the rest in their seats except in spontaneous celebrations, etc. In a big game for both teams, I would see the T as the last resort. One formal reminder and ongoing communication to keep them under control is my recommendation. Saying "watch the box guys" when you are in the vicinity of the bench should do it. If they prove completely uncontrollable and/or uncooperative, refs can use the T.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I did tell the officials about this several times (even made it a point to ask in pre-game to get the benches to sit down - there is one corner that I cannot see if the team is standing)

Of course, the officials had enough on there hands trying to prevent anyone from killing anyone else.