The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

is there a simple rule to correct what can be corrected or not? watched a game the other day team b fouls team a, team a calls a timeout. team b mistakenly given ball out of bounds after timeout, drives to basket makes goal and is fouled in process. coach a figures what happens and calls timout to correct error. official come together and decide to count the basket for team b, but dont allow team b the bonus shot, then give team a the ball at half court, by my understanding of the rule this should of been a corretable error? any help out there. thank you
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
is there a simple rule to correct what can be corrected or not? watched a game the other day team b fouls team a, team a calls a timeout. team b mistakenly given ball out of bounds after timeout, drives to basket makes goal and is fouled in process. coach a figures what happens and calls timout to correct error. official come together and decide to count the basket for team b, but dont allow team b the bonus shot, then give team a the ball at half court, by my understanding of the rule this should of been a corretable error? any help out there. thank you
Unfortunately, giving the ball to the wrong team for an in-bounds play is not a "Correctable Error." It is fixable until the ball is legally touched inbounds. After that, tough beans. Consult NFHS rule 2.10 for the list of correctable errors.

Even if this had been a correctable error, they didn't correct it properly. Did the foul go on the record, but the shot wasn't given? That seems really messed up. They should have not counted the basket or the foul, and then given the ball to team A at the original in-bound point.

But it's not correctable, anyway. Which is why at the very beginning of a time-out, the refs should always verbalize to each other what the re-start is going to be. Makes mistakes like this very few, and very far between.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jul 13th, 2004 at 01:56 PM]
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 01:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
is there a simple rule to correct what can be corrected or not?

A summary could be:
1) Correctible errors only involve free throws, or whether a score should count or not. These errors are only correctible up until the end of the first dead ball after the clock has started following the error.
2) Scorer's errors(wrong data entered) may be corrected at any time up until the final score is approved.
3) Timing errors may be corrected only if the referee has definite information of the time involved.

Anything else, forget about it.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Unfortunately, giving the ball to the wrong team for an in-bounds play is not a "Correctable Error." It is fixable until the ball is legally touched inbounds. After that, tough beans. Consult NFHS rule 2.10 for the list of correctable errors.

Even if this had been a correctable error, they didn't correct it properly. Did the foul go on the record, but the shot wasn't given? That seems really messed up. They should have not counted the basket or the foul, and then given the ball to team A at the original in-bound point.

But it's not correctable, anyway. Which is why at the very beginning of a time-out, the refs should always verbalize to each other what the re-start is going to be. Makes mistakes like this very few, and very far between.

Actually under correctible errors all activity i.e. time, points, and fouls count up to the time it is detected.

Had this play fallen under CE the basket and the foul would have counted.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

Actually under correctible errors all activity i.e. time, points, and fouls count up to the time it is detected.

Had this play fallen under CE the basket and the foul would have counted.
Yea, you're right, doggone it! I've been at this 5 years and I still cant get it right. I was thinking of giving an unmerited free throw, which if it happens DOES have all the activity cancelled.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was thinking of giving an unmerited free throw, which if it happens DOES have all the activity cancelled.
Well, not quite ALL activity during an unmerited FT is canceled. 2-10-4
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
I was thinking of giving an unmerited free throw, which if it happens DOES have all the activity cancelled.
Yea, okay.

But that does bring up a question in my mind. Say A1 is given two shot, although she only deserves the 1-and-1. She misses the first shot, hits the second, B2 inbounds the ball to B1 who dribbles to the other end, and then is fouled on the shot, which goes. At this point, the table points out the error in the previous free throws. Is B's basket cancelled? Is the foul by A3 cancelled? Or only A's free throw?
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea, okay.

But that does bring up a question in my mind. Say A1 is given two shot, although she only deserves the 1-and-1. She misses the first shot, hits the second, B2 inbounds the ball to B1 who dribbles to the other end, and then is fouled on the shot, which goes. At this point, the table points out the error in the previous free throws. Is B's basket cancelled? Is the foul by A3 cancelled? Or only A's free throw?
Was the foul *during* the unmerited FT?
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea, okay.

Well, see that's the question. What you're implying, and it makes sense from the book, is that it's only what happens during the free throw proper that gets cancelled. That's fine. So the administration is to cancel the point scored with the unmerited free throw, and then go to POI which would be B shooting one. Got it.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Well, see that's the question. What you're implying, and it makes sense from the book, is that it's only what happens during the free throw proper that gets cancelled. That's fine. So the administration is to cancel the point scored with the unmerited free throw, and then go to POI which would be B shooting one. Got it.

Just remember the rules regarding the beginning and end of a free throw - the FT is over when (forgive me if the list isn't comprehensive - I'm at work) the basket is good, a violation occurs by the shooting team, or it is clear that the FT will miss.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Quote:

Just remember the rules regarding the beginning and end of a free throw - the FT is over when (forgive me if the list isn't comprehensive - I'm at work) the basket is good, a violation occurs by the shooting team, or it is clear that the FT will miss.
got it.