The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Last night when I walked into the gym, I was the first ref to get there. As i went to shake the president of the summer leagues hand, he asked me how much did i charge. What should i base my price on?
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Last night when I walked into the gym, I was the first ref to get there. As i went to shake the president of the summer leagues hand, he asked me how much did i charge. What should i base my price on?
Generally the price is agreed upon in advance, and the same price is paid to everyone. And generally there's a budget for fees...X games times Y bucks per game. If I were the cynical type I might think your friend was trying to take advantage of your youth to pocket something...not that people do this mind you

If you have any ref contacts who work this league give them a call and find out what the fee is. When you take a game know what the fee is going in, it's OK to negotiate before you take the game (somewhat) but do not negotiate when you get there.

Quick story: a while ago my son was assigned to work a rec game, $25 cash per game per official. He was told coach so-and-so would have the money. At the last minute the assignor called, seems his partner, another kid, cancelled and I was asked to fill in. Again, told me coach so-and-so would have the cash.

Lo & behold, coach so-and-so did not have the cash, he gave my son some story about "well no, that guy has the cash, or maybe that other guy has it..." When I came out of the dressing room he changed his tune and magically the cash appeared.

As I said, not that this stuff happens.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
President of League: "How much do ya charge?"

You: "Scale"

POL: "What's scale?"

You: "What everbody else is getting."

[BTW...that's a great story Dan.]
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Sad commentary on how people behave. Taking advantage of someone because o his age. Terrible.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

This is something that has popped up a few times when i'm working cash games. Our associations fee is $22, but for some reasons the majority of the coaches have a twenty and a five and expect me to give change. I'm not one to carry coin around, so I rarely have change, so my principle is that of a bus driver, please pay exact fare. What do other guys do in that situation, do you carry change, or do you wait for someone with change to show up??
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
This is something that has popped up a few times when i'm working cash games. Our associations fee is $22, but for some reasons the majority of the coaches have a twenty and a five and expect me to give change. I'm not one to carry coin around, so I rarely have change, so my principle is that of a bus driver, please pay exact fare. What do other guys do in that situation, do you carry change, or do you wait for someone with change to show up??
They pay the fee or more. I don't bring in change. If it's $22 and they have only a twenty and a five, that'll do.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow, around here, if it's a cash game, they're either paying me with a pre-filled envelope or from the concession stand. I've never been asked for change.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

This is completely amazing to me. I thought this was some kind of abberration, but it sounds like "cash games" are fairly common. What types of games are these? Are these like structured scrimmages? I have never been involved in any leagues, no matter how loosely organized, that worked like this.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 10:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only time I've been paid cash is at an AAU game, and that was paid by the site adminitrator; not the coaches. The envelope was "prefilled" by the time I got there, so after the games I just picked up my envelope from the site administrator.
I haven't done AAU in a couple years, so I'm not sure if they still do it that way around here.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
The envelope was "prefilled"...
Prefilled! I like the sound of that!
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
This is completely amazing to me. I thought this was some kind of abberration, but it sounds like "cash games" are fairly common. What types of games are these? Are these like structured scrimmages? I have never been involved in any leagues, no matter how loosely organized, that worked like this.
A lot of summer league stuff around here is cash. Plenty of refs don't claim it all on their Schedule C. The advantage of paying cash-to-whoever-shows-up, is that the assignor doesn't have to track anyone down later to get them paid. And if a ref can't make a game, whoever she gets to replace her gets paid without a lot of extra juggling.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I would have used "prestuffed," but it sounds so, well, underhanded.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Plenty of refs don't claim it all on their Schedule C.
Let me be the first to say that I claim each and every nickel I earn officiating - and at a nickel a game that's a lot of nickels (beat ya JR).
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I would have used "prestuffed," but it sounds so, well, underhanded.
I wouldn't touch any envelope that has been "prefilled" by a coach...if you get what I'm saying.

Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Cash games ARE the way to go for the summer leagues and seasonal adult/junior rec leagues. In Detroit, the cash rate varies from $20-25 per game depending on wether it is AAU, Parks & Rec, camps, etc. Yes, these games are structered just like a normal league play. However, during the HS seasons, payment is always in the form of check.