Thread: How Much?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Last night when I walked into the gym, I was the first ref to get there. As i went to shake the president of the summer leagues hand, he asked me how much did i charge. What should i base my price on?
Generally the price is agreed upon in advance, and the same price is paid to everyone. And generally there's a budget for fees...X games times Y bucks per game. If I were the cynical type I might think your friend was trying to take advantage of your youth to pocket something...not that people do this mind you

If you have any ref contacts who work this league give them a call and find out what the fee is. When you take a game know what the fee is going in, it's OK to negotiate before you take the game (somewhat) but do not negotiate when you get there.

Quick story: a while ago my son was assigned to work a rec game, $25 cash per game per official. He was told coach so-and-so would have the money. At the last minute the assignor called, seems his partner, another kid, cancelled and I was asked to fill in. Again, told me coach so-and-so would have the cash.

Lo & behold, coach so-and-so did not have the cash, he gave my son some story about "well no, that guy has the cash, or maybe that other guy has it..." When I came out of the dressing room he changed his tune and magically the cash appeared.

As I said, not that this stuff happens.