The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 11:40am
ballpunk

Thumbs down

I've been watching the 2004 YBOA Nationals (mostly girls 15 & 17 U). The play is very rough. Several players have gone down and not gotten up. Many more have been bloodied, bruised and battered.

Some players actually appear to tackle (i.e., body slam) opponents. Others throw elbows in faces. One fell then intentionally rolled to severly injure an opponent with possession.

None of these occurences were penalized and I have not seen a single player control penalty enforced in the entire tournament.

Realistically speaking, is there anything that can be done to correct or improve this situation? I fear that the only alternative may be to drop YBOA.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 11:56am
In Memoriam

Nope, there's not a damn thing that can be done about it. We're all for dropping YBOA too. Please let us know where we can vote.

Wanna hear some lawyer jokes? Only we're not joking.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 11:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ballpunk
I've been watching the 2004 YBOA Nationals (mostly girls 15 & 17 U). The play is very rough. Several players have gone down and not gotten up. Many more have been bloodied, bruised and battered.

Some players actually appear to tackle (i.e., body slam) opponents. Others throw elbows in faces. One fell then intentionally rolled to severly injure an opponent with possession.

None of these occurences were penalized and I have not seen a single player control penalty enforced in the entire tournament.

Realistically speaking, is there anything that can be done to correct or improve this situation? I fear that the only alternative may be to drop YBOA.
ballpunk,
You do not paint a very clear picture of your concern.
Which rules were broken? What were the circumstances?
Where was the disadsvantage disallowed?

Should you drop YBOA? Sure. Do it.
mick

What is YBOA?
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
What is YBOA?

[/B][/QUOTE]Young Barristers of America, Mick. It's a league for lawyers. Instead of calling a foul, you sue the player responsible. Each game takes about 6 years. Unless it goes to Appellate Court. Then they take 9 years.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:27pm
ballpunk

Thumbs down

Mick

Jurassic Ref was wrong again. YBOA = Youth Basketball of America. Glad you are retired JR.

The specifics are that kids are routinely getting injured and the terrible refs are not controlling the game. This failure to penalize blatant physical contact is promoting rough play. It's not just wrist checking, blocking, charging, etc. These kids are big, aggressive and unrestrained.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick

Jurassic Ref was wrong again. YBOA = Youth Basketball of America. Glad you are retired JR.

The specifics are that kids are routinely getting injured and the terrible refs are not controlling the game. This failure to penalize blatant physical contact is promoting rough play. It's not just wrist checking, blocking, charging, etc. These kids are big, aggressive and unrestrained.
What ever gave you the idea that I'm retired from officiating? And pray tell, Mr. Lawyerman, exactly what are YOUR credentials to judge that the refs are "terrible" anyway? Hate to say it, but you really sound like just another fanboy that shows up here to complain about the nasty ol' refs. Well why don't you damnwell do something about it. Go out and strap a whistle around your neck and referee some of these YBOA games. Show the bad ol' refs how to do it right. Didya ever think of that?
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick

ballpunk,
Is this just a summer ball setting? Is this just some form of recreational ball?
Are there coaches that actually teach and are paid?
Who sponsors this "of America" sport? Is there a national board?
I'm just trying to picture why so much contact is allowed. The officials on this forum are very much aware of the necessity of following rules, so I am not quite sure to whom you would register your concerns if you are merely talking "Rec ball". On this Forum, Rec ball is considered a joke by most members, yet it is conceivable that new officials, unfamiliar with actual basketball, can use that platform to start learning skills they will need at properly administrated levels of basketball.

There are instances in real hoops when rough contact is acceptably incidental, but that is explained and enforced by rule.

No, you may be in the wrong place for your complaints. YBOA may not even be thought of as a real sport on OfficialForum.

mick

I am quite sure JR knew what YBOA is. He is much closer to the real world (on his good days) where YBOA actually attempts to exist than I am.
He is a kidder guy. Pick on someone else who you may have a chance to one-up.

Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

"Several players have gone down and not gotten up"

The next time a player tells me he is "getting killed" I will let him know that in the DC metro area kids actually die on the court and the refs still don't call a foul...
Nice one Punk !
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef

The next time a player tells me he is "getting killed" I will let him know that in the DC metro area kids actually die on the court and the refs still don't call a foul...
Nice one Punk !
"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country," --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

If you have the authority hire better refs, which means finding them and paying higher fees, at least.

If you have no authority you can always find an internet message board to vent.

Thems your choices.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by WeekendRef

Nice one Punk !
"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country," --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC.
"What happened to my crack pipe? One of you b****es take my damn crack pipe?" --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:57pm
ballpunk

Thumbs down

JR

That's ballpunk not fanboy. Try to keep it clean. It's not hard to spot terrible refs. We've all seen too many of them and, as they say, it ain't rocket science, it's a game. In my book, terrible refs are not just inconsistent, illinformed or stupid, they exhibit some bias towards a team, player or coach that diminishes the spirit of basketball. Your suggestion about "strapping on a whistle" (obviously an oxymoron) is good. Unfortunately, I am physically unable to do so. Oh, and, here's the lawyer part...I never said you were retierd from reffing.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 01:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
I am quite sure JR knew what YBOA is. He is much closer to the real world (on his good days) where YBOA actually attempts to exist than I am.
He is a kidder guy. Pick on someone else who you may have a chance to one-up.

[/B][/QUOTE]Yeah, JR knew what YBOA was, Mick. JR wasn't kidding though. JR gets very upset when people indiscriminately dump on officials without being able to give a REAL good reason why they are doing so. Now, if Mr. ballpunk can maybe give us some PROOF(using the rules, mechanics,etc.) that the officials were bad, instead of saying something that might be classed as "hearsay" in a court of law, then maybe Mr. ballpunk might be better received. Maybe a good analogy would be some clown saying that ALL Little League umps are terrible.
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you want quality officials, pay more money. Maybe even pay for 3 Officials for each game. Hire varsity officials/college officials only. And schedule the games so most can attend.

I am familiar with YBOA, but it is a joke. It is like AAU, no defined teams, no real coaches, and fans that think their child is going to get a D1 scholarship or pro contract.

Yeah, just like mick said. Most of us see it has a joke.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 01:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Maybe a good analogy would be some clown saying that ALL Little League umps are terrible.
JR,
Well that's simply not true!
Only some of us are.
mick
Closed Thread