View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 09, 2004, 12:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ballpunk
Mick

Jurassic Ref was wrong again. YBOA = Youth Basketball of America. Glad you are retired JR.

The specifics are that kids are routinely getting injured and the terrible refs are not controlling the game. This failure to penalize blatant physical contact is promoting rough play. It's not just wrist checking, blocking, charging, etc. These kids are big, aggressive and unrestrained.
ballpunk,
Is this just a summer ball setting? Is this just some form of recreational ball?
Are there coaches that actually teach and are paid?
Who sponsors this "of America" sport? Is there a national board?
I'm just trying to picture why so much contact is allowed. The officials on this forum are very much aware of the necessity of following rules, so I am not quite sure to whom you would register your concerns if you are merely talking "Rec ball". On this Forum, Rec ball is considered a joke by most members, yet it is conceivable that new officials, unfamiliar with actual basketball, can use that platform to start learning skills they will need at properly administrated levels of basketball.

There are instances in real hoops when rough contact is acceptably incidental, but that is explained and enforced by rule.

No, you may be in the wrong place for your complaints. YBOA may not even be thought of as a real sport on OfficialForum.

mick

I am quite sure JR knew what YBOA is. He is much closer to the real world (on his good days) where YBOA actually attempts to exist than I am.
He is a kidder guy. Pick on someone else who you may have a chance to one-up.