The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

This question pertains to an out of bounds call relating to the goal. From what I have read, the ball is only out of bounds when it contacts the supports or passes over the backboard (from front or back unless on an inbounds play). What about the scenario of the ball rolling along the top of the backboard?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Depends upon what happens. If the ball rolls along the top of the board and falls back in front of the board, keep playing. If it goes off the back, violation. If it actually stops on top...grab your camera, then use the arrow. Theoretically, it's possible for a ball roll part way across the top of the board and then fall in the basket for a countable (yet hard to imagine) two points.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yes and No

gymrat,

Assuming you're referring to a rectangular backboard, the top, bottom, and sides are in bounds. A ball passing over the top is out of bounds. This is true whether on a pass, try, or throw-in.

In your scenario, the ball would be live (in bounds) until it passed over the backboard or touched a support. Even during a throw-in, a ball passing over would be out of bounds and a violation would result.

Fan shaped backboards present a different set of rules. A ball passing over is still in bounds regardless of where it came from.

Sven
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Top is in play. If it rolls along the top and there is no supports up there to be touched and the ball falls forward then you can rebound or if the ball falls into the basket it is good.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Ball off the top

Did anyone see the NBA game about a week ago when the last shot to win bounced twice on the top of the backboard and then fell in the hole? For the life of me I can't remeber who even played the game. I just remeber getting home from a game and flipping the sports on just in time to catch the play and the sports caster saying "and it does count I checked the rules."
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Glind,
That was Vin Baker on the Sonics....It was a game winning shot.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ron,

I though it was a winning shot but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info. What a bizzar play huh?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ball off the top

Quote:
Originally posted by glind
Did anyone see the NBA game about a week ago when the last shot to win bounced twice on the top of the backboard and then fell in the hole? For the life of me I can't remeber who even played the game. I just remeber getting home from a game and flipping the sports on just in time to catch the play and the sports caster saying "and it does count I checked the rules."
The announcer was lying. Rule books are to TV announcers like garlic is to vampires (although garlic generally tastes better to the rest of us.)

I think what makes this harder in NBA/College is that the ball is OOB when it touches the shot clock - usually mounted right above the backboard.