LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by TerpZebra
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
The officials use the WNBA as a stepping stone to get to the NBA.
Obviously you do not know women's officiating or any WNBA referees. Do not assume that all officials would rather referee the NBA over WNBA.
Considering the compensation involved alone it's fairly safe to assume that all officials would rather referee the NBA over WNBA. In terms of PAY it's like saying don't assume all triple A umps would rather work in the Majors.

IMO
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I've always thought that the more compelling rationalization is that the stars have proven they can make the play, so they get the call. Until refs believe that the rookie's throw would have a reasonable chance without the foul, they won't see the contact as a disadvantage. I don't completely buy this one either, but it is a line of reasoning.
I admit I do not watch a ton of NBA games during the season. But Shaq has fouled out in the playoffs, he even fouled out in the Finals before. Kobe just this year got T'd up for running his mouth in the Finals. Rasheed (a star) has gotten T'd up every change he can get at times. Rodman got thrown out of games. From a star standpoint, the Pistons had very little stars on their team, but it was Gary Payton looking at officials funny and Karl Malone getting knocked down and no call.

My theory, some of those players did not play very well and are on the slope of their career. I would not expect those players to get calls when they are not playing very well.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 12:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
One thing I picked up at camp was that fans don't pay to see us officiate. They pay to see the players play. We, as officials, need to find the point at which we can call what we feel needs to be called and keep our integrity while allowing the players to do what fans pay to see.
You can't compare pro ball to amateur(?) ball. The "?" was put in on purpose in the last sentence to cover the NCAA schools that may go over the salary cap. One is a game, and the other one is entertainment.

When you work in the WNBA or the NBA, the league will find your "integrity" point for you. We, as officials, will get told by the league how much contact it is expected should be allowed. Every call that you make will be scrutinized, evaluated and graded. Your "integrity" had better match the league's vision of how the game should be called. If it doesn't , your "integrity" will go buh-bye, along with your a$$. If the WNBA thinks that the contact is getting to be too much on Swoopes- and their other stars-, then they'll let their officials know that they're letting too much go.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Big News!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
You can't compare pro ball to amateur(?) ball. The "?" was put in on purpose in the last sentence to cover the NCAA schools that may go over the salary cap.
I must have missed this news item. When did they institute a salary cap for our esteemed "student" athletes? Must only apply to the mid-major level and below.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Big News!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
You can't compare pro ball to amateur(?) ball. The "?" was put in on purpose in the last sentence to cover the NCAA schools that may go over the salary cap.
I must have missed this news item. When did they institute a salary cap for our esteemed "student" athletes? Must only apply to the mid-major level and below.
I believe the salary cap for ncaa players is about $0.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 05:55am
Huck Finn

Maybe he is talking about the unofficial salary cap You know, like a player's job being to turn on automatic sprinklers.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
One thing I picked up at camp was that fans don't pay to see us officiate. They pay to see the players play. We, as officials, need to find the point at which we can call what we feel needs to be called and keep our integrity while allowing the players to do what fans pay to see.
I heard this line after ejecting a Legion coach from a baseball game this past weekend. My response was, "And nobody pays to see you show your backside and be a bad example for your players, either."

I think it is a weak line myself. I don't think there is any need whatsoever to minimize the contribution well-trained officials make to the game.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 11:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I heard this line after ejecting a Legion coach from a baseball game this past weekend. My response was, "And nobody pays to see you show your backside and be a bad example for your players, either."

I think it is a weak line myself. I don't think there is any need whatsoever to minimize the contribution well-trained officials make to the game.
Good comeback.

I agree. They might not come to see us officiate, but we will be around a lot longer no matter how bad they behave.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

As I've been told by a couple NBA officials, you sure as hell better KNOW Kobe fouled someone when you blow the whistle. If you're only 99.9% sure Kobe affected John Doe's balance, speed, and position, you better no call it.

Yeah, it should be like that for every player but the fans don't pay to see every player.
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The officials use the WNBA as a stepping stone to get to the NBA.
Obviously you do not know women's officiating or any WNBA referees. Do not assume that all officials would rather referee the NBA over WNBA.

I think you need to read the entire argument. Because the WNBA is used as a stepping stone by the NBA Officiating Program. Whether you realize it or not. The same goes for the NDBL and CBA and the many other Leagues you do not hear about that play pro ball. Of course most WNBA Officials do not want to be in the NBA and realistically, that is not going to happen anyway. There is only one Women in the NBA currently. But it is not a secret that have used WNBA Officials and moved them to the NBA. And why not, they make more money, the league is more secure and the NBA has more notoriety.

Quote:
The referees in the WNBA are just as qualified as the NBA ones.
I know that the D1 Women's officials do not have the same amount of experience as the D1 Men's Officials to accomplish the very same levels.

For the record, I know D1 Men's and D1 Women's officials right in my back yard. The fact is that the Men's officials have more years of experience to to the same place as their Women Official counterparts. The fact is that the WNBA is an option for the D1 Women's side. The NBA is not a realistic option for the Men's Officials. They either have to give up college ball and get into the NBA Program to be considered for the NBA. I understand you are sensitive to these issue, but please do not go there with me about what I know about how people get to the NBA or WNBA. I am not at all an expert, but I know the route that officials have taken to get to those levels. You do not have to know anyone to see that. But in my case, I do know many D1 current and past College Officials. And they talk about these very things all the time.

Peace
Rut, how do you know TerpZebra is not a D1 official himself? you'd look pretty silly if he was........
Old Tue Jul 06, 2004, 10:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan

Rut, how do you know TerpZebra is not a D1 official himself? you'd look pretty silly if he was........
So, then that is the opinion of one D1 Official. I know D1 Officials that have a desire to work in the NBA. They would do it in a heartbeat.

Peace