The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Why do we see so many times a shooter attempt a 3 point basket, return to the floor, receive contact from a defender that could not stop and then be awarded 3 free throws (or a bonus). Doesn't the try end when the shooter returns to the floor? Shouldn't the penalty be ball out of bounds or 1 & 1?
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Yes, You are correct. It is not a foul against an airborn shooter and therefore should not be awarded 3 throws.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 06:52pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by gymrat
Why do we see so many times a shooter attempt a 3 point basket, return to the floor, receive contact from a defender that could not stop and then be awarded 3 free throws (or a bonus). Doesn't the try end when the shooter returns to the floor? Shouldn't the penalty be ball out of bounds or 1 & 1?
gr,
That's a good call by mcdanrd.

Perhaps our problem is that we are not following the shooter back to the floor, then seeing a crash with our peripheral vision and guessing.
mick
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Taking eyes off shooter too soon

Mick I think you are right -Stay with the shooter until that act is completed!!
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules, one foot returning to the floor ends the shot attempt. Is this correct? Is it different for NFHS?

thanks
SH
keep smiling
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 10:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
NCAA rules, one foot returning to the floor ends the shot attempt. Is this correct? Is it different for NFHS?

thanks
SH
keep smiling
Scott,
I am very open for correction here, but I think there is something about "a natural landing", and one foor is not one of those.
mick
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC

thanks
SH
keep smiling
Scott,
I am very open for correction here, but I think there is something about "a natural landing", and one foor is not one of those.
mick
I don't think there's anything about a "natural landing" in the NFHS book w.r.t. "airborne shooter". If one (at least) foot is on the ground, the player is not airborne. The rules are the same.

(Prior to the '99-'00 season, both feet had to be on the floor in NCAA Mens.)
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

NCAA 4-61-6 The act of shooting shall begin simultaneously with the start of the try and end when the ball is clearly in flight, including when the shooter is an airborne shooter. Exception (MEN): An airborne shooter who is fouled by an opponent while in the air but after the ball is released shall be considered to be in the act of shooting until one of the airborne shooter's feet return to the floor. The NFHS rule is 4-1-1 an airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for goal or has tapped the ball and has not yet returned to the floor. The NFHS, at least as far as I could find, doesn't goes as far as the NCAA in stating when a player is no longer considered an airborne shooter (i.e. one foot or two feet). The traveling rule NFHS 4-43 talks about airborne players and lists provisions for one foot hitting the ground and becoming the pivot foot (if catching a pass while both feet are off the floor, NFHS 4-43-2 a2,3). Therefore, my interpretation is that once one foot hits the ground, a player is considered on the ground and no longer airborne. A casebook play that's close is NFHS 10.6.1B B1 takes a certain spot on the floor before A1 jumps from the floor to catch a pass (a) A1 lands on B1 or (b) B1 moves into a new spot while A1 is airborne. A1 comes to the floor on one foot and then charges into B1. Ruling: In (a) and (b) the foul is on A1.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
mick
Mick, the "natural landing" statement you're thinking of applies to three over-and-back situations (throw in, jump ball, and defensive steal of a pass) where the player, when securing control of the ball while in the air, can make a "normal landing" with one foot in front court and one in the backcourt without violating.
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 01:01pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Ahhhhhh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker
Quote:
mick
Mick, the "natural landing" statement you're thinking of applies to three over-and-back situations (throw in, jump ball, and defensive steal of a pass) where the player, when securing control of the ball while in the air, can make a "normal landing" with one foot in front court and one in the backcourt without violating.
Great!
Thanks, Todd!
I wasn't sure where I saw that, or even if I saw it.
I'm glad I didn't just dream it.
Thanks again.
mick
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Todd, as usual is on the money. I was focusing on the airborne shooter and forgot to consider player location with regard to frontcourt/backcourt status. It is not a violation when after a jump ball or a throw-in, a player is the first to secure control of the ball while both feet are off the floor and he/she then returns to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. It is not a violation if a defensive player who jumped from frontcourt secures control of the ball while both feet are off the floor and he or she returns to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. NFHS 9-9 exceptions 1,2.