The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Two handed number reporting is NBA only right? You cant get away with that in college or high school correct?
It's an experimental NCAAW mechanic -- to be used only this summer, then evaluated and possibly put in place for the 2005-2006 season.

Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Two handed number reporting is NBA only right? You cant get away with that in college or high school correct?
It's an experimental NCAAW mechanic -- to be used only this summer, then evaluated and possibly put in place for the 2005-2006 season.

Yea, just for the camp where I'm already at sea. Just terrific....
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

Huh?
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ??

Quote:
Originally posted by bbgirl
I have not attended camp yet, so I am unfamiliar with the term "tableside." I think i know but would like a clarification.

Please explain.
BBgirl - And in this context we are talking about a change in 3-man mechanics: reporting a foul, then staying tableside. In the past, after a foul was reported, the official would go opposite tableside. Comprende?
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

Huh?
I'm going to a 3-person camp where I need to do this, but to develop the habit just for camp, along with all the other habits I need to change, and then have to unlearn it again, after only three days, just feels overwhelming to me. I'm annoyed.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm going to a 3-person camp where I need to do this, but to develop the habit just for camp, along with all the other habits I need to change, and then have to unlearn it again, after only three days, just feels overwhelming to me. I'm annoyed.
Jewel,
Don't over think this stuff.
mick
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Without a lanyard I'm more likely to rush as soon as I blow the whistle. In a girls game theres atleast one trip down the floor when you can drop your whistle and let it just hang there for a little bit while one team holds the ball at the division line and the other team wont come out of zone. The intesinsity is also not there for MOST (not all - I went no lanyard for a game Saturday) of the girls games I've called so I have need no extra "crutch" to help myself slow down and not seem rushed. I've had some sleeper boys games before where I've dished the lanyard out of my pocket and made a switch.

I'm going to an NCAA camp Friday and dont have a set mechanic... meaning, its up to the crew what mechanics to use so Julie, I've got two sets of new mechanics (to me atleast) to think about. I've worked both mechanics this summer and almost all three man using both sets of NCAA mechanics.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Question

John,

What are you babbling about here? Not sure what direction you are trying to take here but leave the 2 hand reporting at home and bring your lanyard with you to camp.

Brendan
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bbgirl
awesome

talking 2 man mechanics. This is awesome info, keep it coming!
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Jewel,
Don't over think this stuff.
mick
mick -- I'm not even close to over-thinking yet. If I don't think about it at all, it won't change and I won't move up. Period. I already know that for sure. The thinking I need to do is to figure out how to get the new mechanics and signals under my belt so that I can use them when I need them. I've been trying for several weeks, and it's just not happening. Now to add in this two-handed reporting -- AUGH!!
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie,

Don't concern yourself with the two handed reporting as it is not approved... at least it wasn't at the camps I have attended and where I referee. One handed number reporting is still the practice.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Stop grunting.

Quote:

mick -- I'm not even close to over-thinking yet. If I don't think about it at all, it won't change and I won't move up. Period. I already know that for sure. The thinking I need to do is to figure out how to get the new mechanics and signals under my belt so that I can use them when I need them. I've been trying for several weeks, and it's just not happening. Now to add in this two-handed reporting -- AUGH!!
Jewel,
I cannot see what you are doing, but visualization is often useful for practicing reactive motions.

For each different contest, one mechanic leads to another and to another. Understand the flow.
Merely go over the immediate specific mechanics before the game in question. You know them all already.

Be concerned about one game (Men, Women, Fed) at a time.
Don't think about how one level is different from another, but think about how each system works.
Relax.

And remember, that part of knowing the mechanics is being able to cover for a partner that may kick a positioning or signal.
That is a two-way street.
mick
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: awesome

Quote:
Huh? Conversation is about foul reporting of player's numbers with both hands, not 2 man mechanics.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: awesome

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Huh? Conversation is about foul reporting of player's numbers with both hands, not 2 man mechanics.
Actually, there are two discussions going on. Well, in reality, three. Going table side, two-handed foul reporting, and having to learn new mechanics for a single camp. I believe that bbgirl was talking about going table side. She was acknowledging that she works 2 man mechanics, which means that she doesnt' need to worry about going table side.

I have to agree about learning mechanics for camps. It'll almost certainly be years before I have to work 3 man on any kind of regular basis. So the last camp I went to and was working 3 man, when I realized that I was messing up because of a habit from 2 man, I wasn't exactly in a hurry to break the habit. The last thing I need is to come away with 3 man habits than I have to turn around and break when I go back to my 2 man life.

On the other hand, they spent a lot of time at that camp talking about the lead coming ball-side in 2 man. We were encouraged to do it anytime the ball was likely to come into the post. That's one 3 man habit that I'll be using a lot.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Consistency?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I just wanted ask about people's experience with going table side so far. I have already been at one camp where I worked and attended another camp to just watch. I thought I would hate the table side for HS. I always liked it at the college level, because the coaches for the most part were more intelligent about their complaining as a whole. The camp I worked was with HS teams and HS coaches (not always the varsity coaches) and the I barely heard a whisper half the time. I think this was a great change in mechanics. Of course this was just a very small experience, but I see what is likely to happen. The coaches are not screaming and yelling across the court at you for making a call. The coaches tend to be more reserved and measured when you are standing next to them. In some cases they did not say anything at all.

I have to say I was wrong so far about what this might bring. Of course it is early, but it sure seems like there will not be that many problems with this mechanic. I was at a camp and watched an official get rid of both head coaches during a championship game. But that was AAU, that does not count.

Peace
I just wish the Fed would have some consistency in their philosophy. I've never worked 3-man but am going to a 3-man camp in a few weeks so I've been reading up on the mechanics. In one breath, going tableside, they say it facilitates better communication. In another breath, they want the non-calling official to notify a coach of a DQ which is just awkward. The reasons for both seem to me to contradict each other. Sure the coach may be more upset when his/her star player is DQ'd on #5, but making my partner tell him isn't going to appease him. This has bugged me since they started that last year.

Mregor