The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Question

A bit of another thread got me thinking about some things NOT to do on the court. For instance, the "toilet bowl" signal. I never noticed it too much until I realized it had a name, now I laugh whenever I see it used. The other one mentioned was the traveling signal for a violation on a spot throw in.

I thought it might be interesting to hear of some other mechanics, signals, and things such as that, that should be avoided. I look silly enough without trying.

JH
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 09:01am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
A bit of another thread got me thinking about some things NOT to do on the court. For instance, the "toilet bowl" signal. I never noticed it too much until I realized it had a name, now I laugh whenever I see it used.

(snip)

JH
Actually, the "toilet bowl" signal is an official, approved signal for reset the shot clock. I use it way too often in Maryland (HS Girls use a shot clock) as the operators never seem to reset properly.

It's when people use it for BI/GT that it is inappropriate.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 09:05am
In Memoriam

Baseball's "Foul Tip".
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

At the risk of being wrong; is the "not closely guarded" wave in the books for any level? I'm pretty sure it is not in there for high school.

As far as non standard mechs. Here are a couple of others I have questions about. Are they approved at any level?

The fists for a block call at the spot of foul.

The 2 finger count, (Instead of using the whole hand)for a 10 second or closely guarded count.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ocreferee
Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
A bit of another thread got me thinking about some things NOT to do on the court. For instance, the "toilet bowl" signal. I never noticed it too much until I realized it had a name, now I laugh whenever I see it used.

(snip)

JH
Actually, the "toilet bowl" signal is an official, approved signal for reset the shot clock. I use it way too often in Maryland (HS Girls use a shot clock) as the operators never seem to reset properly.

It's when people use it for BI/GT that it is inappropriate.
I think the toilet bowl signal he's referring to is the one where one arm is held out in front in a round shape parallel to the floor, and the other arm swoops down into it like a scrub brush going after the "stains". THAT'S hilarious!!
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Avoid unnecessary signals, like signalling a basket is worth two points or that a shot block was not a foul (Is this what you mean by the foul tip signal, Mick?), or signalling that the five second count is off.

If you are giving the proper signals for violations and fouls, there should be no need for signalling that there was no foul or violation.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
If you are giving the proper signals for violations and fouls, there should be no need for signalling that there was no foul or violation.
I do think it would be nice to have a "safe" signal, similar to the one used in baseball. I don't mean a similar signal, I mean a similar use. It would mean, "Yea, I saw the whole play, and there was no problem." No signal of any kind can be mis-interpreted as, "Wha.... ?"
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Avoid unnecessary signals, like signalling a basket is worth two points or that a shot block was not a foul (Is this what you mean by the foul tip signal, Mick?), or signalling that the five second count is off.

That depends on where you live and who you work for. Not to say that you should use a bunch of "non-NF" signals. But I know that it is very acceptable to signal a close 3 point shot as just two points. Because with many folks around me, they would rather have you do that, then have the table buzzing you later to figure out what a shot was after 4 trips down the floor. The NF or NCAA sets guidelines, but it is up to the assignors or clinicians to dictate what is ultimately acceptable. The kick signal was acceptable for years, then the NF made it official. Maybe some of these signals will be made available to use in the future.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
But I know that it is very acceptable to signal a close 3 point shot as just two points. Because with many folks around me, they would rather have you do that, then have the table buzzing you later to figure out what a shot was after 4 trips down the floor.
This is a really good example of a useful unofficial signal. When you signal the 2, it says, "I definitely saw a foot on or over the line." When you signal nothing, it can be misconstrued. My assignor doesn't like it, and says so, but I use it anyway, when he's not looking. It makes a difference in how I'm perceived as being in control, and on the ball.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

This is a really good example of a useful unofficial signal. When you signal the 2, it says, "I definitely saw a foot on or over the line." When you signal nothing, it can be misconstrued. My assignor doesn't like it, and says so, but I use it anyway, when he's not looking. It makes a difference in how I'm perceived as being in control, and on the ball.
Our Head Clinician told us to use this signal. He said that when there is a close 3 point shot, the table is convinced you missed it if you do nothing. If you point down or signal "2 points" to them, then they know what you at the very least think you saw. Now if the shot is clearly inside the line, I will do nothing. We were just told to use this when there is a question to whether a shot was a 3 or not.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 11:58am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Also - don't use the "swirlie" to signal that a free throw didn't hit the rim. This might be the most used non-official signal.

All you do is indicate there has been a violation by the shooting team.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, how do you indicate the violation? All while reading the posts this is the non-mechanic I kept thinking of. Do you just shout "violation on the shooter" (tough in a loud gym) which is what I do while making the swirlie signal. Also, I'm curious if anyone knows why it took so long before the kick signal was adopted. It just seemed to make sense to me. Maybe the swirlie should be adopted. Let's adopt the swirlie.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I do think it would be nice to have a "safe" signal, similar to the one used in baseball. I don't mean a similar signal, I mean a similar use. It would mean, "Yea, I saw the whole play, and there was no problem." No signal of any kind can be mis-interpreted as, "Wha.... ?"
How bout when you use this signal and your partner comes up with a foul? Has the same problem as the tip signal. :/
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Quote:
How bout when you use this signal and your partner comes up with a foul? Has the same problem as the tip signal. :/
That's a good point. Hmmm...

Let me get back to you on that one. And while I'm thinking, maybe someone could bail me out?
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb When in Rome.......

Quote:
Originally posted by RefAHallic
Mark, how do you indicate the violation? All while reading the posts this is the non-mechanic I kept thinking of. Do you just shout "violation on the shooter" (tough in a loud gym) which is what I do while making the swirlie signal. Also, I'm curious if anyone knows why it took so long before the kick signal was adopted. It just seemed to make sense to me. Maybe the swirlie should be adopted. Let's adopt the swirlie.
There is not "specific" guideline. That is why these mechanics are popular.

As a general rule you should use proper mechanics. But when there are things that happen and you might need to sell the call, there are things we can do that can describe the action. I will do the tip signal if there is a pass that is out of bounds and not everyone sees the tip by the defender. I will even point to the defender that tipped the ball as well. I have never been told not not do this. Actually I have been praised for the description. It tells everyone what I saw.

Peace