Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Did someone miss a NOT in there?
BTW Darko is listed as playing 2 minutes in the box score.
Yeah, I did.

He must have played at the end, when I stopped watching.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
But again, they dominated for 5 years, so it wasn't just luck.
When they did dominate for 5 years?
\

1987 Conference Finals (lost to Celtics in 7)
1988 NBA Finals (lost in 7)
1989 NBA Champs
1990 NBA Champs
1991 Conference Finals (lost to Bulls who won the whole thing)

During that stretch, probably the best NBA playoffs record of any team during that same time.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 08:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But again, they dominated for 5 years, so it wasn't just luck.
When they did dominate for 5 years?
\

1987 Conference Finals (lost to Celtics in 7)
1988 NBA Finals (lost in 7)
1989 NBA Champs
1990 NBA Champs
1991 Conference Finals (lost to Bulls who won the whole thing)

During that stretch, probably the best NBA playoffs record of any team during that same time.
Aw c'mon, Coach. You don't dominate when you LOSE! You can say that they dominated in '89 & '90, but that's it.
Old Thu Jun 17, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

You dominate with sustained high level performance. I think the Pistons demonstrated that. Others may differ.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
You dominate with sustained high level performance. I think the Pistons demonstrated that. Others may differ.
Portland would "settle" for that kind of non-dominance!!
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 06:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
LOL. If they hadda sustained their high level performance in the 3 years that they lost,they woulda WON!
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Smile Rational and friendly discourse

Quote:
Teams that dominate don't lose playoff series. If they did, then you can say that several teams dominated each of those years. They were a terrific team but 3 of those 5 years there were teams that were better. The Bulls were as good of a team in 90 but the Pistons had home court, which they had earned.

In 91, they lost 4-0 to the Bulls, only held the lead for like 12 minutes of the 192 minutes played, and in embarassment, walked off floor before game 4 was over. Dominant teams don't do that.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I did.

The final irony of Darko's rookie season is that he actually broke his hand during garbage time that last game.

From the Detroit News: "Darko Milicic, who played the last two minutes of the game, suffered a broken bone in his right hand.

Milicic appeared to injure his hand while taking a jump shot, as a Lakers defender hit him.

He held the hand and begged to come out of the game, but Coach Larry Brown told Milicic to keep going.

Neither knew the hand was broken at that point.

The Pistons said Wednesday there was no update on Milicic’s injury or treatment. "
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Rational and friendly discourse

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Teams that dominate don't lose playoff series. If they did, then you can say that several teams dominated each of those years. They were a terrific team but 3 of those 5 years there were teams that were better. The Bulls were as good of a team in 90 but the Pistons had home court, which they had earned.

In 91, they lost 4-0 to the Bulls, only held the lead for like 12 minutes of the 192 minutes played, and in embarassment, walked off floor before game 4 was over. Dominant teams don't do that.
I'll grant you year 5 was a drop off, so you can say they were on top for 4 years if you like. But for those 5 years, or for the first 4 of those years, the Pistons had the best record in the East. They made the conference finals every year. The Lakers didn't win every year either, but I wouldn't say they weren't dominant. The Lakers dominated the West, and had the best overall record, but I think that the East with Jordan's Bulls, Dominique's Hawks, and Bird's Celtics, was the stronger conference at that time. So you can flip a coin between Lakers and Pistons as to who was the best during that period.

The dominant teams in the early 80s were the Lakers, Celtics, and Sixers, with the first two being the strongest. But none of those teams won every year. Nobody does. If I pick a period and say a team was dominant during that period, I don't mean they won the whole enchilada every time, I mean they were in the top echelon for a sustainted period of time, and won some championships. If you never win the big one, you didn't dominate. If you consistently contended and finished the deal a couple of times in the process, you were dominant.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Rational and friendly discourse

Quote:
[/B]
I'll grant you year 5 was a drop off, so you can say they were on top for 4 years if you like.
[/B][/QUOTE]You mean that YOU can say that they were on top for 4 years if YOU like. The NBA record book says that they were on top for 2 years.

The rational question is "How can you possibly be "on top" when you lost?"
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I did.

The final irony of Darko's rookie season is that he actually broke his hand during garbage time that last game.

From the Detroit News: "Darko Milicic, who played the last two minutes of the game, suffered a broken bone in his right hand.

Milicic appeared to injure his hand while taking a jump shot, as a Lakers defender hit him.

He held the hand and begged to come out of the game, but Coach Larry Brown told Milicic to keep going.

Neither knew the hand was broken at that point.

The Pistons said Wednesday there was no update on Milicic’s injury or treatment. "
Justice for playing with taped ears! Lesson for those HS players who want to do this. See what happens!