The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Just curious,if I called a "T" do I administer the free throws or do my partner? Now since the lane is cleared do the trail official stand in the normal position to watch the shooter to make sure he does not cross the free throw line or does he/she watch the other players so there won't be any taunting or unsportsmanlike conduct?
I have had partners who like to explain the called to the coach while I administer the free throws, so should I go ahead and administer it or should I wait until my partner is done talking to the coach?
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

By the book, you and your partner are supposed to switch. So it really doesn't matter who called the T, you switch and then administer the shots.

Now in practice, many officials like to have whoever called the T go opposite to get away from the coaches.
This official does have the responsibility to call violations on the shooter, but in practice never does. If the situation that caused the T was due to the action of the players, it is probably a lot more important to have the Trail official watching the nine players not shooting.

If your partner is over explaining to the coach just administer the shots, unless you believe that there will be a problem with the players on the court. I have had partners that take far too long to explain these things to coaches. If they are still talking after I have finished administering both shots, I throw my partner the ball and have him administer the division line throw-in. This gets the game going again.

Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 07:07am
In Memoriam

Post Oh, my!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

If your partner is over explaining to the coach just administer the shots, unless you believe that there will be a problem with the players on the court. I have had partners that take far too long to explain these things to coaches. If they are still talking after I have finished administering both shots, I throw my partner the ball and have him administer the division line throw-in. This gets the game going again.

Nevadaref,
I'm gonna wait until my partner gives me a point.

I will continue waiting for my partner to finish, before administrating a free throw, because my partner is near the table and may be given information that, if ignored, could escalate a coupla free-throws into a really ugly can of worms, ie, illegal shooter, improper order of administration.

No, I will not continue the game without my partner.

mick
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Mick

I agree with you 100%...

I really dont think it matters who is trail and who is lead here. It may be something that you want to talk with the coach about ( and yes there are times I will. This may be especially true if it is a player who picked one up, you may have to explain to the coach what happened) so you go talk to coach while your partner gets with the shooter...

It may be something that you do not need to discuss, or your partner needs to do it... I think this is all situational.

I think we actually start out near the trail ( more like a C) for the first shot and then step down for second...
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 09:51am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
I think we actually start out near the trail ( more like a C) for the first shot and then step down for second...
Kelvin,
During a technical foul, I am only slightly focused on the shooter, while being attentive to the other 9 players and the table.I'll be standing somewhere near the top of the circle, 1/2-way to the sideline.
Coupled with the fact that a pretty fine player is shooting and that the lane is empty with no rebound expected, I have plenty of confidence that my partner can see the foot of the shooter.
After the second shot, I will be moving toward the division line, or toward the point of foul on an intentional. I rarely find myself stepping down in this situation, although maybe I should be doing that as in a normal shot.
...But, then again, there will be no rebounding action....
mick

mick

[Edited by mick on Jun 15th, 2004 at 10:54 AM]
Old Tue Jun 15, 2004, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Kelvin,
During a technical foul, I am only slightly focused on the shooter, while being attentive to the other 9 players and the table.I'll be standing somewhere near the top of the circle, 1/2-way to the sideline.
Coupled with the fact that a pretty fine player is shooting and that the lane is empty with no rebound expected, I have plenty of confidence that my partner can see the foot of the shooter.
After the second shot, I will be moving toward the division line, or toward the point of foul on an intentional. I rarely find myself stepping down in this situation, although maybe I should be doing that as in a normal shot.
...But, then again, there will be no rebounding action....
mick

mick

[Edited by mick on Jun 15th, 2004 at 10:54 AM]
Mick,
I agree with this and this is what I do. Earlier I was commenting on a situation where my partner is talking to the coach for too long, not the same as a case where he is at the table getting or giving vital information.
As you know, a coach will continue to complain or negotiate as long as you let him. I firmly believe that the time it takes to shoot the 2 FTs is long enough; after that we should get the game going again.