The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   throw in (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1408-throw.html)

Dibbs Tue Jan 09, 2001 07:54am

simple question that I can not seem to find in the rule book.
Can a player bounce or dribble the ball during a throw in,
either at the spot or after a basket? A coach ask me this
and I can not seem to find the rule on this! In the 80 plus games I have done so far this season I have not notice any
players doing this.

mick Tue Jan 09, 2001 08:07am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dibbs
simple question that I can not seem to find in the rule book.
Can a player bounce or dribble the ball during a throw in,
either at the spot or after a basket? A coach ask me this
and I can not seem to find the rule on this! In the 80 plus games I have done so far this season I have not notice any
players doing this.

Dibbs,
Yes, the player may bounce and dribble. It is like a free throw preparation... no rule against doing it.
mick

co2ice Tue Jan 09, 2001 10:48am

Dibbs: yes he/she can do both and probably more however he/she still has only 5 seconds to inbound the ball and if it is a spot trow in, he/she is restricted on movement as we all know.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 09, 2001 10:52am

It's one of those things that you can't find in the rule book because there's no rule against, so there's no need for a rule that says you can do it. Just make sure that she doesn't bounce it on the boundary line.

Dibbs Tue Jan 09, 2001 10:57am

Thank you all for your help!!

mick Tue Jan 09, 2001 11:00am

Really?

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
It's one of those things that you can't find in the rule book because there's no rule against, so there's no need for a rule that says you can do it. Just make sure that she doesn't bounce it on the boundary line.

On the boundary line?
... Over the boundary line?

BktBallRef Tue Jan 09, 2001 11:05am

On the boundary line. 4-9-2

The inside edges of these lines define the inbounds and out-of-bounds areas.

mick Tue Jan 09, 2001 11:14am

Quote:

On the boundary line. 4-9-2

The inside edges of these lines define the inbounds and out-of-bounds areas.

And, therefore, the boundary line is still out of bounds.

Hawks Coach Tue Jan 09, 2001 12:29pm

I concur with Mick - must bounce ball completely on court, or it is still OOB. Now how about this?

If it crosses the plane after the bounce, does it become a throw in violation because it is a loose ball, in play, and hit oob prior to inbounds? Certainly the defense can grab it.

Indy_Ref Tue Jan 09, 2001 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I concur with Mick - must bounce ball completely on court, or it is still OOB. Now how about this?

If it crosses the plane after the bounce, does it become a throw in violation because it is a loose ball, in play, and hit oob prior to inbounds? Certainly the defense can grab it.

The defense can grab ANY ball that crosses the plane with no penalty whether it is in possesion of the thrower in or not. Likewise, the defense can also touch any ball that crosses the plane. If I could determine it, I'd call a throw in violation assuming the defender didn't knock it out of his hands BEFORE it crossed the plane. If the thrower in crossed the plane with the ball and the defense knocked it out of his hands and it hit out-of-bounds before it went onto the court, then out-of-bounds on the defense.

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Jan 9th, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

mick Tue Jan 09, 2001 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Indy_Ref
[If the thrower in crossed the plane with the ball and the defense knocked it out of his hands and it hit out-of-bounds before it went onto the court, then out-of-bounds on the defense.

Indy,
I don't know about that.
I'm giving the ball back to Offense, unless it bounced off the thrower somehow.
mick

Indy_Ref Tue Jan 09, 2001 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

[If the thrower in crossed the plane with the ball and the defense knocked it out of his hands and it hit out-of-bounds before it went onto the court, then out-of-bounds on the defense.

Indy,
I don't know about that.
I'm giving the ball back to Offense, unless it bounced off the thrower somehow.
mick

Mick, that is exactly what I'm saying!

mick Tue Jan 09, 2001 01:58pm

Quote:

Mick, that is exactly what I'm saying!

Sorry, Indy,
Yes you did!
I don't read, or talk, too good.
mick

BktBallRef Tue Jan 09, 2001 09:54pm

Quote:

Nope. You're missing where the boundary is. The boundary line is where inbounds meets out of bounds. I'm not talking about a two inch stripe. The 2 inch, 3 inch, or 2 foot stripe around the playing floor is not the boundary line. Yes, this stripe is OOB. But the inner edge of the line, just as is defined in the rule above is the boundary line. If the ball bounces on the boundary line, it's bounced on the inbounds side as well as the out of bounds side. It's impossible for a ball to bounce on the line where these two areas meet and not hit inbounds.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 9th, 2001 at 08:57 PM]

mick Tue Jan 09, 2001 10:22pm

Quote:

Quote:

Nope. You're missing where the boundary is. The boundary line is where inbounds meets out of bounds. I'm not talking about a two inch stripe. The 2 inch, 3 inch, or 2 foot stripe around the playing floor is not the boundary line. Yes, this stripe is OOB. But the inner edge of the line, just as is defined in the rule above is the boundary line. If the ball bounces on the boundary line, it's bounced on the inbounds side as well as the out of bounds side. It's impossible for a ball to bounce on the line where these two areas meet and not hit inbounds.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 9th, 2001 at 08:57 PM]

Tony, :)
1-2-1: The playing court shall be marked with sidelines and end lines....The sidelines and end lines shall be a minimum of 2 inches in width.
4-9-1: Boundary lines of the court consist of end lines and sidelines.

Granted that the inbound/out-of-bound line has neither width, nor depth, but only length.

You may still bounce the ball on the boundary line, and be out of bounds, unless there is insufficient air in the ball and then it won't bounce so good.
mick