The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I knew that subject line would get your attention.

Where are all the interesting cases and challenging rule interpretations? I'm tired of talking about NBA refs and socks. Let's learn folks.

[Edited by lrpalmer3 on Jun 7th, 2004 at 02:21 PM]
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Where are all the interesting cases and challenging rule interpretations?
They're about a month away. Let people get to some camps. Then they'll have all sorts of things to talk about. Then it's another dry spell until the HS season starts up.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
For 90% of us it is the off season, meaning mostly, other sports (for me football). I am busy studying those rule books. But hear is one...

After a long battle on the court, both coaches have been surprisingly good. Coach A is bent over on the sidelines waiting for a last second shot by the other team to go ahead by 1 or 2(w/ a 3). With 2 seconds left B23 shots a 12 foot jumper, and misses, but through the crowd coach A missed the whistle of a forearm tap foul with 1.6 seconds left, putting B23 (%50 FT) on the line for a chance to tie or win. Coach A falls over in frustration/elation/overwhelminghood/exahustion (you pick the emotion) and is sprawled out on the floor for a good 10 seconds, the other coach takes offense and asks you what you are going to do about it. What Do You DO?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:47pm
Esteemed Participant

calmly ask Coach A if he needs medical attention or if he is capable of getting his a$$ back in his seat by himself...then get the free throws shot and see what happens...
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

If i feel that his collapse was a negative reaction to my call then WHACK!!!. There is no reason a coach should be on the floor.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
If i feel that his collapse was a negative reaction to my call then WHACK!!!. There is no reason a coach should be on the floor.
Sometimes I wonder if you are the offspring of Joe Crawford and Steve Javie.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Where are all the interesting cases and challenging rule interpretations? I'm tired of talking about NBA refs and socks. Let's learn folks.

[Edited by lrpalmer3 on Jun 7th, 2004 at 02:21 PM]
http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/produ...16141&SID=8715

Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
There is no reason a coach should be on the floor.
He should be floating above it?!?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I once had a somewhat funny (perhaps sad) reaction from a coach.

I don't remember the level (either JV or V) or whether it was boys or girls.

Near the end of a close game. I don't remember the exact situation except for that I called a foul. I announced my foul at the spot as always. On the way to the report, I noticed that coach A was going crazy...almost enough to get a T. I could not figure out what his tirade was about. I told him to hang on a second while I reported and I'd be back to hear him out. I reported the foul that i had called on B. I then turned to the coach who said: "sorry, I thought you called a foul on us."

Another similar one that many of you have probably had: OOB call. I yell "Blue" and point the correct direction. Player in Blue then comes up to me arguing the call (saying the other team touched it) only to then look down and realize he's wearing blue!!! Priceless.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 07:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
There is no reason a coach should be on the floor.
He should be floating above it?!?
How about six feet under it?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

The only reason i would t him is because of a past experience.

It was at my first camp, and I was still a fairly new naieve official .

I was working a game, and there was an obvious charge deep in my partner's area, the only reason i saw it, was because all the players were grouped down there, and I was watching in the key for some rough off ball contact.

My partner didn't call anything, and the coach of the defensive team as the play is moving to the other end of the court purposely falls to imitate what his player did when he was charged. Neither my partner nor I made a call.
After the game, we got a good explanation of when to draw the line. And never again have a let a coach get anywhere close to that level.

I this is probably why I have such a low tolerance for coaches.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
[B]
Quote:

http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/produ...16141&SID=8715

I have those socks, they are Super!!
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 02:48am
Do not give a damn!!

The natural order of things.

This board and others go thru cycles.

When the season ends, we go strong for about a month or so.

When the playoffs are over, many concentrate on other sports, like I do with baseball.

When the spring sports are over, then for many the basketball picks up with summer camps and leagues.

This place will slow to a nearly a halt when the fall sports like Football and Soccer.

Of course there will be those philosophy discussions and procedural discussions that make this place interesting. But that is not going to involve many serious discussions until maybe around October, when it seems most of the country begins to have their Official's Association meetings.

Then when the season starts and ends, we go thru that all over again.

This is just the natural order of things around here and with the other sports. The serious discussions do not really happen in the off season.

So until then we will talk about socks, shoes and camps until our fingers bleed. Plays and situations are generally more common in season or right before the season.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only reason i would t him is because of a past experience.

It was at my first camp, and I was still a fairly new naieve official .

I was working a game, and there was an obvious charge deep in my partner's area, the only reason i saw it, was because all the players were grouped down there, and I was watching in the key for some rough off ball contact.

My partner didn't call anything, and the coach of the defensive team as the play is moving to the other end of the court purposely falls to imitate what his player did when he was charged. Neither my partner nor I made a call.
After the game, we got a good explanation of when to draw the line. And never again have a let a coach get anywhere close to that level.

I this is probably why I have such a low tolerance for coaches.
I just think it is funny because every time we get a coach situation, you seem to say," Whack, I'll T them!"

I'm just as likely in your game situation to say, "Coach, you flopped better than your kid did." That way you get to make a funny and you will still get to WHACK him when he comes unglued over your little joke.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

ref18
What I find amazing is that one situation is described, you apply it to a totally different situation in your mind, and justify a T. then you are surprised when people react like BZ. The situation outlined was one where two teams are near the point of exhaustion, two coaches are emotionally drained. One coach is on his kees and collapses when a foul is called down the stretch.

Did it happen because he opposed the call? Did it happen because his best player has fouled out? Did it happen because his team just made a mistake that will cost them the biggest game of their season? Is he mad because his team has done this in three previous close games this season and lost all as a result? Is it just overall frustration, but maybe at his team not with you?

To you, it doesn't matter because a coach once flopped in response to a non-call with the point of demonstrating how his player was knocked to the floor. When you didn't T him, you heard about it. That results in the mental rule of auto T if any coach hits the floor at any time in one of your games if you feel he was objecting to your call. My question is, who cares what you think or feel? This is a close game, and your calls at this point really matter. You had better be sure, or you better not T.

So your answer sounds rather extreme to most of us I think. The point of this whole situation is that you don't know why he did it. And you won't know, not without something else occurring. So your response to potentially WHACK him can only be based on your mental interpretation of what he did. If you have to interpret, you don't want to T, especially in a game like this. Best to hold it til he does something to really earn it.