The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a situation last week that I am getting conflicting advice on from my fellow officials. Can anyone help clear this up (preferably with some rule referece)?

Team A has posession of the ball with 10 seconds left on the shot clock. Player A1 shoots the ball and it becomes lodged between the rim and the backboard.

Since the ball hit the rim, the shot clock was reset. We then went to to AP rule and team A had the arrow and keeps the ball.

Half of me wanted to return the shot clock to 10 seconds since they are retaining possession as a result of the AP rule, but the other half of me agreed with the timer in resetting the shot clock since a shot hit the rim.

Does anyone have a rule I can fall back on?

My argument was this. Say there was only 1 second left on the shot clock, should team a get the ball back with only 1 second to shoot. That seems to be punishing them for a freak play. Worse yet, what if the buzzer went off as the shot was in the air...would they be charged with a violation even though they got a shot off and hit the rim? Would they lose the arrow since the violation would only occur if they retain possession from the AP rule???

Thanks!