The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

I'm just curious about how some of you guys refocus after you think you may have kicked a call, obvious or not. Do you do anything specific to get refocused on the game?
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 07:01am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I'm just curious about how some of you guys refocus after you think you may have kicked a call, obvious or not. Do you do anything specific to get refocused on the game?
I think: "Focus, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus, focus...."
mick
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 12:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Sorry - can't help you. Never happened to me.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Mark
I hope you are pulling our legs
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker
Mark
Nope, I think he's serious.

The best way is to have a short memory.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker
Mark
Malcolm --

Mark is one of these types who really, truly doesn't do many things wrong. When he does, it's usually a doozy, but it doesn't happen very often at all. (and incidentally, he's great at apologizing, and never makes the same mistake twice.) Does that mean I'm saying he's perfect? Heavens, no. He has some very irritating qualities, just like everyone else I've ever met. But he is very disciplined and can carefully choose how he's going to approach something and then do that thing he's chosen. With Mark, what you see is what you get.

He does pull legs a lot, and he's a self-proclaimed SOB (that's a direct quote from him!), but he errs seldom.

The rest of us (with the possible exception of Jurassic) have to learn to get our heads back in the game after a nasty error.

Or in my case, get our heads back in camp after a nasty error. On this very subject, here's what happened to me this weekend: Camp this weekend, hs varsity 4A boys tournament. Lots of fouls, lots of rough. Our assignments were in half-games. My first was a second-half. Fairly rough,but under control in the first-half. We came on the floor and thought we were doing pretty well. Actually, we WERE doing pretty well.

It was a close game clear down to the end. Nine seconds left, black down by two, white gets the ball out of bounds, in the back court, at about the 28 foot hash mark, I'm trail. Everyone knows black is going to foul, right? White in-bounds the ball backward, and three black players descend on the white player. Black knows that white could simply hold the ball there, and they want to get the clock stopped.

Okay, now here's where I goofed. I saw the descent, and then saw the black player closest to me start hitting the ball-handler on the back with both hands. Called an intentional. Seemed easy to me. Until I looked up at the row of evaluators who all had a better angle than I did. If I had stepped backward with the ball by a few steps, I'd have seen the black player on the far side get a good clean hit on the wrist. The evals all had a great view of it.

Gotta make a phone call, finish the story in a minute....
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

So, with the two intentional shots, and the possession, white ended up winning by about 6 or 8. The loss wasn't quite my fault exactly, but it sure was a bad error, nonetheless.

After the eval very gently pointed out my shortcoming (frankly I'd rather he yelled), I had about an hour and a half to stew until my next assignment. How did I get past it? I went and talked to myself for a little while, kicked a locker a couple times, and then tried to replay the situation in my head, with me taking those two crucial steps to get the great angle. Then I went and watched some other campers for a while.

When I make a mistake like that in the middle of a game, and have to keep going, I don't handle it very well. Maybe someone else can help you -- and me! -- with that one.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jun 6th, 2004 at 09:28 PM]
Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Now you would have been fine I assume if you had just called a common foul irrespective of who the call is on.

Players have the ability to make good contact during a game but ask em to foul and they do something stupid like slapping a player on the back.

We teach our officials here expect a foul late to stop the clock and call it so it does not get rough.

Malcolm

Old Sun Jun 06, 2004, 10:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Mark is one of these types who really, truly doesn't do many things wrong. When he does, it's usually a doozy, but it doesn't happen very often at all.
OK, Juulie. I challenge you to name even one example. Or...is that one of my "irritating qualities"?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

A couple of things I do. I acknowledge to myself that I made the mistake and then mentally block it out of my thoughts. I will then do what I do when tired or in lopsided games, i.e., focus on the basics even to the point of talking to myself about positioning, mechanics and mental focus. Then a couple of minutes have passed, I am back in the game and it is history until later.
I keep a journal of my games and experiences worth remembering or learning from. I include my mistakes but rather than just write them down, I will study and review the rule or mechanic, call mentors and post on here. I find that even if I know the rule or situation that I kicked, I tend to not repeat the mistake this way.

Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Mark is one of these types who really, truly doesn't do many things wrong. When he does, it's usually a doozy, but it doesn't happen very often at all.
OK, Juulie. I challenge you to name even one example. Or...is that one of my "irritating qualities"?
Mark -- I don't want to embarass you by describing your huge mistake. I don't need to list your irritations. Everybody here already knows them.

(insert cheesy grinned smilie with thumbs in ears, and fingers waggling)
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 09:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Is it possible to think you kicked a call? If /you/ think you kicked a call, then don't /you know/ that you kicked the call?

But yes, focus, focus, focus.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 10:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
insert cheesy grinned smilie with thumbs in ears, and fingers waggling

[/B][/QUOTE]

Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Gotta make a phone call, finish the story in a minute.... [/B]

Juulie,
That was only a 6 minute phone call!
Pretty darn good.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 10:27am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
So, with the two intentional shots, and the possession, white ended up winning by about 6 or 8. The loss wasn't quite my fault exactly, but it sure was a bad error, nonetheless.

After the eval very gently pointed out my shortcoming (frankly I'd rather he yelled), I had about an hour and a half to stew until my next assignment. How did I get past it? I went and talked to myself for a little while, kicked a locker a couple times, and then tried to replay the situation in my head, with me taking those two crucial steps to get the great angle. Then I went and watched some other campers for a while.

When I make a mistake like that in the middle of a game, and have to keep going, I don't handle it very well. Maybe someone else can help you -- and me! -- with that one.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jun 6th, 2004 at 09:28 PM]
So, other than that, how did the rest of the Camp go, Juulie??? Sorry I missed it this year - but I figured my Dad's 80th birthday party was a little more important!!