LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
So, with the two intentional shots, and the possession, white ended up winning by about 6 or 8. The loss wasn't quite my fault exactly, but it sure was a bad error, nonetheless.

After the eval very gently pointed out my shortcoming (frankly I'd rather he yelled), I had about an hour and a half to stew until my next assignment. How did I get past it? I went and talked to myself for a little while, kicked a locker a couple times, and then tried to replay the situation in my head, with me taking those two crucial steps to get the great angle. Then I went and watched some other campers for a while.

When I make a mistake like that in the middle of a game, and have to keep going, I don't handle it very well. Maybe someone else can help you -- and me! -- with that one.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jun 6th, 2004 at 09:28 PM]
So, other than that, how did the rest of the Camp go, Juulie??? Sorry I missed it this year - but I figured my Dad's 80th birthday party was a little more important!!
There were a lot of good things, as always. Spitz really knows how to run a camp. I did have some trouble in the loser-loser-loser-loser game. Your Heritage coach (boys' var) was a royal pain in the neck. Although that wasn't how I described it during the eval time -- words fell out that I've NEVER said in my life.

WE got to meet Chris Minnich. Do you know him? He's 25 and working D1. He's never done a hs varsity game in his life. Amazing story.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

What did Minnich have to say?
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 12:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

WE got to meet Chris Minnich. Do you know him? He's 25 and working D1. He's never done a hs varsity game in his life. Amazing story.
I know Chris...Ididn't realize he was working D1 - which conference??? When did he get picked up??? He's an interesting story, not one that many people can relate to!

And yes, the Heritage coach is a royal pain - esp. when he's losing games...kid's attitudes suck also. He is the bro-in-law to the Prairie boys coach, so those match-ups are always a hoot...
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

I know Chris...Ididn't realize he was working D1 - which conference??? When did he get picked up??? He's an interesting story, not one that many people can relate to!

And yes, the Heritage coach is a royal pain - esp. when he's losing games...kid's attitudes suck also. He is the bro-in-law to the Prairie boys coach, so those match-ups are always a hoot...
I don't remember which conference. He apparently has just finished his second season. He had so much quiet confidence, I can see why he's moved up so fast. It seems to come very naturally for him.

Mainly what he said, Luther, is that you need to go into it with your eyes open and make a well-informed choice. Don't expect to get things your way. You do what you're told, and make the best of it. If you can't live with that, it would be best not to get started. He was talking about the D2 and D1 level mostly, I think. Assignors are little gods, and you have to just submit. He wasn't saying this in a negative way. But was saying this is why a lot of people don't move up -- they want it their own way. He's flexible becuase of being very young and having no wife or family. He can choose a job around his reffing schedule, and he doesn't have a lot of juggling to do. If you are coming at it later in life, you need to see what the sacrifice could be, and try to decide whether it's worth it.

Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't remember which conference. He apparently has just finished his second season. He had so much quiet confidence, I can see why he's moved up so fast. It seems to come very naturally for him.

Mainly what he said, Luther, is that you need to go into it with your eyes open and make a well-informed choice. Don't expect to get things your way. You do what you're told, and make the best of it. If you can't live with that, it would be best not to get started. He was talking about the D2 and D1 level mostly, I think. Assignors are little gods, and you have to just submit. He wasn't saying this in a negative way. But was saying this is why a lot of people don't move up -- they want it their own way. He's flexible becuase of being very young and having no wife or family. He can choose a job around his reffing schedule, and he doesn't have a lot of juggling to do. If you are coming at it later in life, you need to see what the sacrifice could be, and try to decide whether it's worth it.

I'm young, flexible, and don't mind submitting. Problem is, I don't know what to submit to because I've never been in front of a college assignor. That's why I can't wait to go to camp. I am counting down the days, literally. I live in Ohio. For those of you that don't know, you must work 2 JV seasons before you can work a varsity game in this state. Under this system, I can see how someone may never work a varsity game, but go to enough camps to get noticed by college assignors.
Old Mon Jun 07, 2004, 01:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Two thoughts Juulie...1)Chris has obviously matured a LOT in the last two years...2)another thing he could have put into his talk is the benefit of having a "mentor" in high places - he has benefitted quite a bit from that (and no, that's not sour grapes - just a statement of fact)...he's a great guy and I'm glad he's moved up...