The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2016, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

RefTown Feedback and Discussion

I find some of the reporting difficult (I can't quite figure out how to get a report of "next week's games" for example).

I find it hard to find the list of games I need to accept / not accept. (a) When I click on the game link in an email, I should log-in to that Assigner's page and not into whatever the default is. Too often I then need to "switch assigners" to get to the game). (b) even when I log in, I see all my games, but have to go to some different page to accept. (c) If I do not accept, then I have to go back in later to "confirm" that the assigner has removed me -- this step seems unnecessary.

When exporting the calendar to outlook, I'd like to be able to just create the .csv file and edit it and then import it myself instead of having Reftown just update the calendar (I would tend to put different defaults for description and location than what comes from the system).

Note that I am brand new (about a month) into using this system for a few new (to me) assigners -- I might be able to figure out the above given some time in the system.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2016, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I find some of the reporting difficult (I can't quite figure out how to get a report of "next week's games" for example).

I find it hard to find the list of games I need to accept / not accept. (a) When I click on the game link in an email, I should log-in to that Assigner's page and not into whatever the default is. Too often I then need to "switch assigners" to get to the game). (b) even when I log in, I see all my games, but have to go to some different page to accept. (c) If I do not accept, then I have to go back in later to "confirm" that the assigner has removed me -- this step seems unnecessary.

When exporting the calendar to outlook, I'd like to be able to just create the .csv file and edit it and then import it myself instead of having Reftown just update the calendar (I would tend to put different defaults for description and location than what comes from the system).

Note that I am brand new (about a month) into using this system for a few new (to me) assigners -- I might be able to figure out the above given some time in the system.
Awesome. I've got some things to look at. Will be in touch with you backchannel. Thanks!
Old Fri Sep 23, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have 5 assigners on arbiter and one on ref town. I don't try to do anything other than block and accept games. They are different but, for what I use them for, there's not much difference. It is a pain however, having to enter stuff on two sites.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2016, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Since Rich moved this to its own thread and indicated I could reply here, I'll put my replies here for anyone's benefit...

Quote:
When on the the games page, you'll find a "Quick Links" menu right under the logo in the top left. It will have many of the commonly used searches: My Games, My Unaccepted Games, Next 7 Days, etc. You can use the "Game Search" for more advanced searches but most officials never need that.

Quote:
I have updated the site to address this. Now, clicking links to games in emails will, if necessary, switch you to the correct organization and go to the entry for that game. It will only work for links in emails sent from now forward. The link within the email needed to be changed in order to make it work.

Thanks for that idea. I'm sure that will be appreciated my many.

Quote:

There are some options under your profile under Calendar Preferences that control how the entries are formatted....what goes in the description and what goes in the location line as well as how much to pad the start time to account for travel/pregame.

Do those options cover what you wanted? If not, what else are wanting to do?

Note that you can export your schedule to Excel which is a small step from a CSV....and you can do anything you want from there.

Quote:

Keep the suggestions coming! I get the best ideas from users....particularly newer users who don't know the site inside and out.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Sep 26, 2016 at 11:52am.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2016, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for addressing the second item and for telling me how to accomplish the other two.

As I said, I thought those other items were already there somewhere.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(c) If I do not accept, then I have to go back in later to "confirm" that the assigner has removed me -- this step seems unnecessary.
I realized I forgot to answer this question previously.

That requirement is optional...chosen by each organization. It can be configured so that you don't have to do anything else if you decline an assignment and are then removed.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I realized I forgot to answer this question previously.

That requirement is optional...chosen by each organization. It can be configured so that you don't have to do anything else if you decline an assignment and are then removed.
What's the default (when the software is first installed / licensed)?

I can see where confirmation is nice when the assigner initiates the cancellation / removal. So, the default for this should be "require confirmation."

But, if I've initiated it by declining the assignment, the default should be "no confirmation" (and I recognize that others might see it differently, so to have the option is fine).
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's the default (when the software is first installed / licensed)?

I can see where confirmation is nice when the assigner initiates the cancellation / removal. So, the default for this should be "require confirmation."

But, if I've initiated it by declining the assignment, the default should be "no confirmation" (and I recognize that others might see it differently, so to have the option is fine).
The default was to require it for all replacements. The ability to not require a response when you're removed after declining was added more recently based on a customer request. I never changed the default but that is a good idea....I've now made that the default for new customers.