Originally posted by cingram
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
1st Half - B5 has 3, B45 has 1
3rd Quarter - 3 quick fouls given to B45
3:35 left in 4th B5 Commits Foul - Score sheet says it is his 5th - Have a seat
Yup. Now what B player actually committed the FOURTH foul that was charged to B5 in the score book before the 5th foul that was charged at 3:35??? That 4th foul HAS to be given to the proper B player if you're gonna use "definite knowlege". For instance, if you now take that 4th. foul in the book away from B5 and give it to B45, then that 4th foul charged to B5 now becomes B45's 5th foul, and the 5th foul charged to B5 at 3:35 left is actually B45's SIXTH foul if you change it. That also means that the the foul to B45 with 1:33 left would now be B45's SEVENTH foul!!!

There was an extra foul charged to B5- his 4th one in the book- that has NOT been properly charged to any other B player when the changes were made.
1st Half - B5 has 3, B45 has 1
3rd Quarter - 3 quick fouls given to B45 At this point the original error occurs: Sheet reads B5 - 4, B45 - 3
3:35 left in 4th B5 Commits Foul - Score sheet says it is his 5th - Have a seat Sheet reads B5 - 5, B45 - 3
1:33 left in 4th B45 Commits Foul Table says it is his 4th Sheet reads B5 - 5, B45 - 4

At this point: B5 has one too many fouls and B45 is missing one foul.

Nevadaref shifted one foul from B5 to B45 - Giving B5 4 fouls (allowing him to play again), and giving B45 5 fouls giving him a seat.

There are no other mysterious fouls (on any other players) that creep into the equation.

After the correction the Score sheet reads
B5 - 4
B45 - 5
[/B]
Thanks for doing this, cingram. I didn't want to go back and find all the quotes in the original description. Nevada must be closer to Ohio than I remember from hs geography!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker

Sidebar: Can something be a little redundant?
If Mr. and Mrs. Redundant had a baby, the baby would be "a little Redundant."

Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Boy, I don't get to correct you very often. Guess I'm not as obsequious and sycophantic as some folks think.
Ok, so my grasp of vocabulary isn't as extensive. But correct me if I am wrong here; isn't this a little redundant?
If you want the whole nine-episode saga of The Apple-Polishing Referees, you'll have to e-mail me. I'm not gonna put it up for the whole world to see!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

It wasn't "charged" wrongly, it was recorded in the book wrongly.
Oh but I disagree!

A foul can be incorrectly "charged" to a player in 2 different ways.

1- The official can report the wrong number.

2- The scorer can record the foul incorrectly.

And there's nothing redundant about that.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
In light of the discussion about a recent NBA game in which an official checked on Shaq's foul total, I thought I should share this.

In the large HS (1000+ enrollment) championship game of this past weekends AAU tournament, I had an unusual situation. For the first time in my officiating career I had to undisqualify a player. It was a bit odd to explain to the coaches as both teams were from Utah and with both officials being from Nevada we had no previous relationship. They were quite pleasant about it, though.
I ran out of juice right here. Hey DeNucci, could you condense and summarize this for us.

You got farther than I did!
I lied!

Didn't want to hurt his feelings.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 10:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
1) 1st Half - B5 has 3, B45 has 1
3rd Quarter - 3 quick fouls given to B45 At this point the original error occurs: Sheet reads B5 - 4, B45 - 3

2) 3:35 left in 4th B5 Commits Foul - Score sheet says it is his 5th - Have a seat Sheet reads B5 - 5, B45 - 3

3) 1:33 left in 4th B45 Commits Foul Table says it is his 4th Sheet reads B5 - 5, B45 - 4

[/B][/QUOTE]How do you figure all this out? It's completely different than what Nevada posted!

1)When the 3 quick fouls were given to B45, B45 now has 4 fouls and B5 has 3 fouls. Nevada pointed out that he knew this for a fact in points #2 and #3 in his original post above. There's nothing posted that really says that he knows what was actually in the score book at this time. Nobody knows.

2)The scorebook did say that this foul at 3:35 is now B5's fifth foul. Now you tell me where B5's FOURTH foul in the score book came from? It's not in any of the posts above.

3)When B45 committed the foul with 1:33 left, and the table told him that it was B45's fourth foul, Nevada knew that this was wrong--BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT B45 HAD COMMITTED 4 FOULS BEFORE THE FOUL THAT OCCURED AT 3:35- READ POINT #3 IN HIS ORIGINAL POST! Nevada had exact knowledge that B45 had committed 5 fouls for sure, and he also thought that the foul charged to B5 at 3:35 should have been charged to B45 instead. If Nevada now changes the foul at 3:35 from B5 to B45, that means that Nevada had actual knowledge that B45 committed SIX fouls- The four fouls before the foul at 3:35, the foul at 3:35 and the foul at 1:33. This still doesn't explain how B5 got wrongfully charged with a FOURTH foul somewhere along the line, or who actually committed this foul.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

What if they had twins?
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What if they had twins?
Then they'd have TWO babies!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What if they had twins?
Ahhh...I'm starting to see the pattern here...so if they had triplets they would have...uhmmmm...wait wait, don't help me....
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 11:28am
cingram

Quote:
Quote:

2) 3:35 left in 4th B5 Commits Foul - Score sheet says it is his 5th - Have a seat Sheet reads B5 - 5, B45 - 3

3) 1:33 left in 4th B45 Commits Foul Table says it is his 4th Sheet reads B5 - 5, B45 - 4

[/B]
How do you figure all this out? It's completely different than what Nevada posted!

1)When the 3 quick fouls were given to B45, B45 now has 4 fouls and B5 has 3 fouls. Nevada pointed out that he knew this for a fact in points #2 and #3 in his original post above. There's nothing posted that really says that he knows what was actually in the score book at this time. Nobody knows.

2)The scorebook did say that this foul at 3:35 is now B5's fifth foul. Now you tell me where B5's FOURTH foul in the score book came from? It's not in any of the posts above.

3)When B45 committed the foul with 1:33 left, and the table told him that it was B45's fourth foul, Nevada knew that this was wrong--BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT B45 HAD COMMITTED 4 FOULS BEFORE THE FOUL THAT OCCURED AT 3:35- READ POINT #3 IN HIS ORIGINAL POST! Nevada had exact knowledge that B45 had committed 5 fouls for sure, and he also thought that the foul charged to B5 at 3:35 should have been charged to B45 instead. If Nevada now changes the foul at 3:35 from B5 to B45, that means that Nevada had actual knowledge that B45 committed SIX fouls- The four fouls before the foul at 3:35, the foul at 3:35 and the foul at 1:33. This still doesn't explain how B5 got wrongfully charged with a FOURTH foul somewhere along the line, or who actually committed this foul. [/B][/QUOTE]

The numbers were deduced from information given.

At 1:33 left in the Game B45 receives a foul. Both Refs know this is #5. Table says it is #4. (point #9)
Right now what we know is B5 has 5 (fouled out at 3:35) and B45 has 4 (all according to the book). Both refs believe it is supposed to be B45 - 5, B5 - 4.

So this means that at 3:35 when B5 committed his 5th (according to the book) the fouls for the players was B5 - 5, B45 - 3. (point #4+5)

We also knew at halftime that B5 had 3 and B45 had 1. (point #2+3)

So in the first minute of the 3rd Quarter when B45 was accessed with 3 quick fouls (point #3) - One of his fouls must have mistakingly been given to B5.

Point #4 states that the foul at 3:35 was obvious and it was given to B5 (the coaches don't (and Nevadaref doesn't) disagree)

Only one foul was erroneously given (in the book) to B5 - This happened sometime in the 1st minute of the 3rd quarter. When he fouled at the 3:35 mark the coaches said it should have been 4 fouls - 3 plus the T. (point #6)

He only moves one foul over from B5 to B45 - It wasn't his last foul (at 3:35 that he contends, it was the 4th foul that he moved). This gives B45 - 5 fouls (see ya later) and B5 - 4 fouls (welcome back). Never once in his post does he contend that the foul at 3:35 was NOT B5's.

In point #9 he mentions that "I had instantly remembered that both B5 and B45 were in the area when my partner whistled B45 for his fourth and knew that it had been incorrectly recorded as B5. My partner tends to report rather quickly and table likely just missed him first showing 4 fingers." - This would be where he believes the error occurred.

Logic problems... fun.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Logic problems... fun.
It's almost as "fun" as the bathtubs with two faucets and three drains, and the trains that meet in tunnels at different speeds!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What if they had twins?
It would be a little too redundant!
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 12:48pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do you figure all this out? It's completely different than what Nevada posted!

3)When B45 committed the foul with 1:33 left, and the table told him that it was B45's fourth foul, Nevada knew that this was wrong--BECAUSE HE KNEW THAT B45 HAD COMMITTED 4 FOULS BEFORE THE FOUL THAT OCCURED AT 3:35- READ POINT #3 IN HIS ORIGINAL POST! Nevada had exact knowledge that B45 had committed 5 fouls for sure, and he also thought that the foul charged to B5 at 3:35 should have been charged to B45 instead. If Nevada now changes the foul at 3:35 from B5 to B45, that means that Nevada had actual knowledge that B45 committed SIX fouls- The four fouls before the foul at 3:35, the foul at 3:35 and the foul at 1:33. This still doesn't explain how B5 got wrongfully charged with a FOURTH foul somewhere along the line, or who actually committed this foul. [/B]
The numbers were deduced from information given.

At 1:33 left in the Game B45 receives a foul. Both Refs know this is #5. Table says it is #4. (point #9)
Right now what we know is B5 has 5 (fouled out at 3:35) and B45 has 4 (all according to the book). Both refs believe it is supposed to be B45 - 5, B5 - 4.

So this means that at 3:35 when B5 committed his 5th (according to the book) the fouls for the players was B5 - 5, B45 - 3. (point #4+5)

We also knew at halftime that B5 had 3 and B45 had 1. (point #2+3)

So in the first minute of the 3rd Quarter when B45 was accessed with 3 quick fouls (point #3) - One of his fouls must have mistakingly been given to B5.

Point #4 states that the foul at 3:35 was obvious and it was given to B5 (the coaches don't (and Nevadaref doesn't) disagree)

Only one foul was erroneously given (in the book) to B5 - This happened sometime in the 1st minute of the 3rd quarter. When he fouled at the 3:35 mark the coaches said it should have been 4 fouls - 3 plus the T. (point #6)

He only moves one foul over from B5 to B45 - It wasn't his last foul (at 3:35 that he contends, it was the 4th foul that he moved). This gives B45 - 5 fouls (see ya later) and B5 - 4 fouls (welcome back). Never once in his post does he contend that the foul at 3:35 was NOT B5's.

In point #9 he mentions that "I had instantly remembered that both B5 and B45 were in the area when my partner whistled B45 for his fourth and knew that it had been incorrectly recorded as B5. My partner tends to report rather quickly and table likely just missed him first showing 4 fingers." - This would be where he believes the error occurred.

Logic problems... fun. [/B][/QUOTE]

I feel like I have a hangover, and I haven't had any brownpops in weeks!!! Good grief...
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
[/B]
I feel like I have a hangover, and I haven't had any brownpops in weeks!!! Good grief...

[/B][/QUOTE]Hey, I'm working on my MTD Sr.(patent pending) response.You just keep writing a whole buncha things down until everybody gets confused. Wait 'til I bring up the "cone of correctibility" next.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 03:00pm
cingram

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad

[/B]
Hey, I'm working on my MTD Sr.(patent pending) response.You just keep writing a whole buncha things down until everybody gets confused. Wait 'til I bring up the "cone of correctibility" next. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think where you may have become confused is with point #9 "I had instantly remembered that both B5 and B45 were in the area when my partner whistled B45 for his fourth and knew that it had been incorrectly recorded as B5. My partner tends to report rather quickly and table likely just missed him first showing 4 fingers." - This is referring to the 3rd Quarter when B45 should have received his 4th, but it may have accidentally been given to B5 (giving B5 his 4th instead of B45 his 4th).

I'm really not trying to confuse everybody (sorry if I did)

Basically a short summary - 9 fouls called on B5 and B45 together
The book has B5 - 5, B45 - 4
Refs know this is incorrect and changed it to be B5 - 4, B45 - 5 (as they believed it should be).

Hope this is better