The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Are there non-threatening, respectful ways for a coach to initiate dialog with an official during a game for the purpose of call clarification or rule interpretations. Or, how about respectfully directing attention to an opponents tendancy to violate a specific rule that may not be obvious to the official.

I know it would be advantageous to get this done prior to game time, but often things develop during the game that were not anticipated. Does this always require expenditure of a team timeout?

I would like to help establish guidelines in our organization to promote improved relations and mutual respect among coaches and game officials. Any advice that could be offered by this forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick Allison
Texas Shooting Stars
AAU Girls Basketball Club
http://www.txshootingstars.com
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tsswebmaster
Are there non-threatening, respectful ways for a coach to initiate dialog with an official during a game for the purpose of call clarification or rule interpretations. Or, how about respectfully directing attention to an opponents tendancy to violate a specific rule that may not be obvious to the official.
If you have a question about a call or no-call, most officials will be glad to answer any question that you have under these circumstances.
1- During a lull in play, quietly address the official the way you would want to be spoken to.
2- Ask, "Isn't #43 traveling when he makes that little spin move in the lane?" or "Isn't #12 pushing off with her off arm?".
3- Don't expect him to engage in a long conversation.
4- Don't attempt to point out something that you think your opponent is doing and the officials are ignoring. We don't like to be accused of cheating.

Quote:
I know it would be advantageous to get this done prior to game time, but often things develop during the game that were not anticipated. Does this always require expenditure of a team timeout?
Actually, this is not the time to do it. A coach should not go to the officials before the game and say, "Gentlemen, we noticed while watching our opponent on film that..." This is completely inappropriate. Most officials will tell you that they won't listen to this type of thing. Many may listen to you but ignore your comments. Some may view it as an intimidation tactic.

If a situation occurs and you feel that it's correctable situation, then, yes, you must call a timeout to point it out. But be carful, because chances are that the officials will know the rule better than you do. If you're wrong, then you've just burned a TO.

Do you have a particular play in mind or has something happened in the past?

A final word might be that you should remeber why you're there. You're there to coach and the officials are there to officiate. Let them do their job.

Respectfully,

TH
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you have a particular play in mind or has something happened in the past?
Most officials calling our AAU games are used to mostly calling High School games under NFHS rules and some aren't quite up to date on the NCAA womens rules (e.g., lane positioning for free throws, play the release or play the
rim, etc). I've tried to get these types of things clarified before the game, but don't want it viewed as some kind of "tactic". It's a tricky situation when a referee lapses into calling NFHS rules out of habit.

Thanks for the tips.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

If a coach wants to point out what the other team does and does not do prior to a game, I always ask the other coach to join the conversation.
This gets my point across to the coach that I am not going to listen to this type of psychological game playing which they like to engage in.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tsswebmaster

Most officials calling our AAU games are used to mostly calling High School games under NFHS rules and some aren't quite up to date on the NCAA womens rules (e.g., lane positioning for free throws, play the release or play the
rim, etc). I've tried to get these types of things clarified before the game, but don't want it viewed as some kind of "tactic". It's a tricky situation when a referee lapses into calling NFHS rules out of habit.
It's the responsiblity of the booking agent to make sure the officials are aware of NCAA differences used in AAU play. But I don't see a problem with speaking with the officials about this type of thing prior to the toss. I normally go to both coaches to make sure that they're aware of the differences!

Thanks for clarifying.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I've experienced a coach ask me what a player did right after I reported the foul. He was quick, said "What'd he do?" in a pleasant tone, loud enough for me to hear and no louder (IOW, not for the crowd to hear). I can usually answer in less than 2 seconds and do so as I start to move toward my next position. Typically I get a "Thanks" to which I reply "You're welcome" as I continue to my spot. Normally this does not come from a coach, in this way at least, who has been yelling at me for other reasons. In my book this is the best proceedure.