The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

This is my very first post to this forum. I'm very excited about this tool and look forward to learning from everyone.

I have very limited officiating experience. I've officiated one freshman boys game and that was because the assigned officials never made it to the game. I've done many church ball games and one division II women's game, because, once again the officials didn't make it to the game. I've enjoyed my experiences up to this point and feel that officiating is for me.

I have a couple of administrative questions and one technical scenario. First, I would like to become an "official" official. I'm not registered anywhere. I don't do games regularly, but I want to be put on a list so I can begin to get some good experience. Who should I contact? What are some good officiating camps for someone in my situation?

My technical scenario is this. The offensive player shot the ball, it lands on top of the backboard, the spin of the ball causes it to come back into play. The official called it out of bounds. I later asked the ref why it was called out of bounds. He said that there is a new rule in high school that states that if the ball breaks the plane of the backboard then it is out. Was this ref correct in his call?

Thinks in advance for your feedback.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

For a rectangular backboard it is a violation if the ball
passes over the the board. If it lands and rolls off back in
to play no violation. For a fan shaped board it may pass over without violation...
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Welcome to the site and to the world of officiating. The way you are starting is exactly the way I got started 40 years ago - That was a great first post and the answer provided was correct. Suggest you ask some of the registered guys in your area who to contact so you can become registered then attend a rookie camp just as soon as you can so you can get rid of any bad habits you have and get pointed in the right direction from the beginning.
When I started I had played the game for about 12 years and thought I really knew the rules as I sure gave officials a hard time as a player. After attending my first camp I sure was humbled!!!!
Anyway, welcome aboard and I wish you many years of enjoyment in the GAME.
YIBB
Pete
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whistle101
My technical scenario is this. The offensive player shot the ball, it lands on top of the backboard, the spin of the ball causes it to come back into play. The official called it out of bounds. I later asked the ref why it was called out of bounds. He said that there is a new rule in high school that states that if the ball breaks the plane of the backboard then it is out. Was this ref correct in his call?
There is no new rule that says the ball is OOB if it breaks the plane of the backboard. Ludicrous! If it rolls over the backboard or touches a support or wire, then it's OOB. This is one of those that fans scream about.

If you want to know who to contact, tell us where you live. It's pretty easy to point you in the right direction.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 7th, 2001 at 12:10 PM]
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle101: Yes welcome aboard. I'm also from Utah, you need to contact Utah High School Activities Association(uhsaa) address is 199 E 7200 S Midvale, Utah 84047 Phone (801)566-0633. We are about to recieve our last contract for the remainder of the season, probably monday, however now is a good time to plan of camps this spring and summer. We a fortunate to have a number of good camps right here in Utah each summer for officials looking to improve. I too got my start doing church ball. Best of luck and if you have more questions e-mail me. check out profile below for e-mail information below.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2001, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks everybody for your replies. All was very insightful!!