View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

This is my very first post to this forum. I'm very excited about this tool and look forward to learning from everyone.

I have very limited officiating experience. I've officiated one freshman boys game and that was because the assigned officials never made it to the game. I've done many church ball games and one division II women's game, because, once again the officials didn't make it to the game. I've enjoyed my experiences up to this point and feel that officiating is for me.

I have a couple of administrative questions and one technical scenario. First, I would like to become an "official" official. I'm not registered anywhere. I don't do games regularly, but I want to be put on a list so I can begin to get some good experience. Who should I contact? What are some good officiating camps for someone in my situation?

My technical scenario is this. The offensive player shot the ball, it lands on top of the backboard, the spin of the ball causes it to come back into play. The official called it out of bounds. I later asked the ref why it was called out of bounds. He said that there is a new rule in high school that states that if the ball breaks the plane of the backboard then it is out. Was this ref correct in his call?

Thinks in advance for your feedback.